Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

154 REPLIES 154

@KarlonUser0603

Indeed. I'm fully expecting Vodafone will at some point turn those options off on my router, I'm just interested to see how long it takes. They're still there currently. 3days 13hours.

If they are still there in a week or so, I will try a reboot and see if that triggers it.

Hi Jayach

if the firmware it's the same (so all the software of the router is still the same), it means it's not a matter of software but a variable, and such variable it's still there but now is set to false. A question then arises: who did set such option "true" in the first place? Answer: I think the only way is a vodafone fake upgrade that actually was only a COMMAND to set such limiting variable "true".

I have then no idea what will happen next. If the router checks for firmware version you are safe because the version comparison will return true. If the router checks something else you'll be back to square one sooner or later.

Maybe with a telnet or ssh access would be possibile to fix it (temporarily).

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@_rik_ wrote:

Hi Jayach

if the firmware it's the same (so all the software of the router is still the same), it means it's not a matter of software but a variable, and such variable it's still there but now is set to false. A question then arises: who did set such option "true" in the first place? 

The answer is they can do it (and much more) via TR-069.

TR-069 - Wikipedia

Jayach

If anyone has been following my experiment to get the channel change options back, I can say they were still there after 8+ days and now I'm going to try and see if anything triggers Vodafone to take them away again, however I will continue on an alternative thread as I think it more suitable.

May be possible to restore WiFi channel selection - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add insult to injury, the geniuses at Vodafone spammed me with a "hints and tips" email, in which they described how one could improve wifi signals by changing the wifi channel on the router!

Wonderful!

Not.

Jayach

@Anonymous wrote:

To add insult to injury, the geniuses at Vodafone spammed me with a "hints and tips" email, in which they described how one could improve wifi signals by changing the wifi channel on the router!

I've just re-contracted to Vodafone and I got one of those. Oh I did laugh! 🤦‍♂️

It has been a while since I first posted about this issue and my contract is almost finished. The OpenReach engineers are just finishing laying fibre ready for FTTP.

Do I really want >100Mbps via this router with its not so perfect WiFi?!?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract is up next month.
The service from Vodafone has taken a nosedive recently. I suspect DNS routing issues at their end, but of course the chances of getting anyone at Vodafone to listen are none.
Wifi quality has been steadily degrading.  Still no option to change the wifi channel on the router, bit still I got the 'handy hints' email explaining how I could improve wifi by changing the channel.
The Vodafone app that they keep pushing is abysmal too, It Doesn't work at all on my ipad (8th gen), nor on my iPhone SE.
Time to move on to whichever of the other poor-quality providers happens to be offering the cheapest deal this week.

Jayach

@Anonymous wrote:

The service from Vodafone has taken a nosedive recently. I suspect DNS routing issues at their end,  

You don't have to use their DNS servers.

@Anonymous wrote:

Time to move on to whichever of the other poor-quality providers happens to be offering the cheapest deal this week.

I've just re-contracted to them, they did me a deal that I couldn't get going elsewhere. (although there were "inducements" available elsewhere so I missed out on those)

You do have to factor in that Vodafone's contracts are for 2 years, so will include a CPI+3.9% price rise in April each year so you will get 2 of them meaning the subscription will be significantly higher by the time the contract is up.

Do let us know what you decide, and how it goes with the move (if you do make it) I'm always interested in what decisions other make.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I should have written DNS AND routing issues. There's something not quite right on the Vodafone network somewhere. Together with wifi issues that I could sort out myself if the hub had an option to do so.

I phoned Vodafone this morning and cancelled. They did start to ask if someone there had offered me  a deal, but to be honest it's time to move on for me. My last 2 year contract included a clause for no increases during the term and an Apple TV 4k so it has been worth it overall, but the wifi channel issue is bugging me and I know that Vodafone 'technical' support is neither technical nor supportive.
I now have some time to pick from the rest of the bad (imho) bunch.
In the 30 + years I've had landline/broadband services not one switch has ever gone 100%  smoothly, so it will just be a matter of anticipating which flavour of mess-up is made and making alternative arrangements while the next shower sort out the router/sort out the engineer/get the biiling account set up/provision the correct services …..