Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi dropping intermittently on 2.4 GHz with Android

emma_john22
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Ever since I got Vodafone Broadband I've had an issue with my WiFi connection with just one device - my Android phone (Moto G8 Power Lite). The wireless connection drops from the phone intermittently. Sometimes it will go back on when I go to the Settings and view the wireless networks, other times I have to turn Wifi off and back on again a few times to get it to see the network or reconnect. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in this: sometimes it can see the network but just refuses to connect (ie I select the network and it does nothing), other times it can't see it. 

The only thing distinguishing this device is that it's the only device connecting on 2.4 GHz - everything else is on 5. Sadly this phone doesn't do 5GHz, so I'm stuck with 2.4. I've tried changing the mode and bandwidth settings on the router homepage and it doesn't seem to make much difference either way, and I've also tried having the phone connected to the second Wifi network, which also doesn't make much difference. 

The service team have been helpful in suggesting things to try but I wanted to see whether other people have managed to solve the problem or even experienced the same one? The router is a recent one with up to date firmware. 

12 REPLIES 12

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Okay so this is not a dig at Motorola phones - I've used them before and you get a lot of phone for your money if you pick the right one.  However, there is a G8 power here, that has recently been retired, due to:  Disconnecting from WiFi.  The easy way to check if its the phone is a short, light tap to the phone body.  If that fixes it, then it's the phone and not the network connection!

Unfortunately I don't think it can be just the phone, as the phone works with all other Wifi that I've tried, so it must be at least partly Vodafone's router. 

Gerry_Atric
12: Established
12: Established

I had the same problem with an Android 8.1 device, except it was with 5ghz. I had to keep turning wifi on and off on the device or sometimes it would reconnect on its own. 

Turning off the Vodafone wifi boosters cleared the problem, so I'll now have to look at alternative ways to boost wifi. 

Do you use Vodafone wifi boosters at all? 

No boosters, but thanks for the reply!

pbjacko1950
4: Newbie

I bought a  Nokia G20 last year (I know..)but it's worked fine until about 3 weeks ago..now the wifi keeps disconnecting, like 40-50 times a day..it doesn't ever reconnect , I have to tap back in to reconnect. It's driving me nuts and I'm ready to throw it in a fire.

What I have checked is it  works fine when i'm at my sons house on his router. But I have 2 other devices (both Sony) which do not drop the wifi connection at my home. So where's the problem ? Obviously there's something unique to Nokia G20 and Vodafone. (my son has BT).

I've googled dozens of 'fixes', tried them all..switching and changing settings..nothing worked.

So unless anyone has any ideas what else I might check then my one year old Nokia is going to be doused in petrol...such is my frustration

Ripshod

If you have access to a third party router that may be the way yo go. 

So many problems on this forum with the 2.4Ghz band the culprit, and to be honest there's no point chasing vodafone for a fix that ain't never gonna happen. 

Thanks! It's good to know that may actually help as I was just going to blame my phone... will look out for a cheap/good offer on a 3rd party router and see if that does the trick. 

I might try using the phone with a friend's WiFi or a HotSpot set up on another phone first.  Even if you got a cheap/good deal on a third-party router, it'd still be annoying if all that showed is the problem is in the phone, not the router!

that's an idea...the hotspot from another phone..i'm just thinking i had an old sony L1 given (cracked screen) and on Android 7...but it's durable and i don't use it hardly obv..  thanks