Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@B_ 

If it is causing you a problem, the switch work-around costs less than a tenner and works fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS1005G-Wallmount-Ethernet-Splitter/dp/B07VWB347G/

But yes, Vodafone should provide a working router.

@B_ buy your own router problem solved and it will be a whole lot better than the ##~## vodafone provide anyway

I'm in exact same situation. Everything I try to do online since moving to Vodafone has some kind of issue.

Can't use Microsoft Teams for work, VPN issues, connection drop outs. Now find Xbox doesn't work correctly. It's just shocking. 

The WiFi experts are clueless and offer no real solutions. I request the new router and get told it is an upgrade and would need to pay more despite the fact we are still waiting to be credited for having 2 days of downtime.

Worst experience with a company I think I have ever had and judging by the number of huge threads on here, they just don't care!

No idea if the problem occurs with the series s. 

No my sister has an Xbox s and it does not work like my Xbox series x

Flea599
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Same same same issue everywhere it seems. I have concluded that the Hub is the issue irrespective of assigning static ip, DMZ, opening ports on either energy saving or standby power modes on xbox. 
Eventually when you start xbox it will fail to connect unless a full shutdown is conducted via xbox menu. Sooo frustrated that this issue has never fully been resolved as I am one year in and given up with attempting to speak with anyone at Vodafone as they firmly point the error to the Xbox. Worked with every other ip provider no issues! 
these connection drop out should not be happening at a proven address level irrespective of how it’s connected. Wired or WiFi.

COME ON VODAFONE SORT IT OUT! PLEASEEEEEE 🙏

It shouldn't be the answer but I have found most of my issues have gone since moving to Pro 2. The WiFi 6 or 6e is a huge improvement for my work laptop. Gone from 250mbps to over 800 on wireless. Not had an issue with the Xbox on wired yet either but haven't tested much.

I've found the whole Vodafone experience awful though and should never have to upgrade to get the basics working.

Jayach

@Flea599 wrote:

Same same same issue everywhere it seems. I have concluded that the Hub is the issue irrespective of assigning static ip, DMZ, opening ports on either energy saving or standby power modes on xbox. 

If you had read the thread, you would know that was all a waste of time. The only thing that works (at the moment) it to use a switch.

Hi everyone.  I’ll just chime in here.  I’m awaiting install of Vodafone fttp broadband and also use a wired connection for my series x.  My Vodafone router is being delivered today so will try it on that and then switch over to my own router which is a TP-Link VR2800, all connected to a Netgear switch.   I couldn’t stay with sky as they wanted £35.50 for a 61mb fttc connection and refused to budge but am more then happy to bin Vodafone off within the first 14 days if I have to if the service isn’t upto standard, hoping I’ll be pleasantly surprised but so far the experience has been awful.  

I assume you will be getting the normal pro hub rather than the pro 2? I think it depends on what speed you go for - sounds like pro 2 is only sent if you go for the full 1GB connection, even though both hubs support the full 1GB...