Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

My husband and I are having the exact same issue. We have been with Vodafone for around 2 years and have never had a problem with our 2 Xbox one X's being connected via ethernet during that time.

28/06/22 was when we first encountered this problem.

Here are all of the details.

Absolutely nothing has changed with the way we have our ethernet cables, router or our 2 consoles connected in the room.

1 console can sometimes connect via the ethernet connection. But once this happens, we have not then been able to get the 2nd console to connect via the ethernet at all.

Both consoles can connect via WiFi at the same time with no problems.

We have tried all the suggested tips and guides with no avail.

I agree with the other comments that it has to be an issue with the Vodafone router, something that they have changed, that is affecting the xbox connection via ethernet.

Give the "Switch between the Xbox and router" trick a go.

I got one of these last week, plug the ethernet from your router into this, then another ethernet cable from this box to your Xbox. 

Sorted my problem out instantly.

TP-Link LS1005G 5-Port Desktop/Wallmount Gigabit Ethernet Switch/Hub, Network Splitter, Plug and play, Plastic Case https://amzn.eu/d/dOtoZ0o

Thanks for the link.

I saw this fix and was intrigued but I am unsure if I will need 1 box to connect both consoles to or will I need 2 boxes with one console connected in to each box?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Vaultman16 wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I saw this fix and was intrigued but I am unsure if I will need 1 box to connect both consoles to or will I need 2 boxes with one console connected in to each box?

No the one switch will suffice, you could connect 4 Xboxes if you wanted. (but I haven't tried it)

Jayach

@Gemma wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks again for your patience. This has been investigated by our Support Teams who have not been able to find any issue..

Why doesn't this surprise me. 🤣

ZinGeRs
12: Established
12: Established

Nor me tbh.

Just stick to the switch if you have one and if you haven't very inexpensive really not worth the hassle of trying direct to the router

CrimsonLiar

I'm hoping for those with this problem that using a NetSwitch sorts this out because:

@Gemma wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks again for your patience. This has been investigated by our Support Teams who have not been able to find any issue. To continue the investigation the teams will need:

• If possible – the Event logs and PCAPs

I was under the impression that inline PCAP capture (and hence WireShark or similar) is a taboo subject on these boards, and could result in bans and even removal of service?????

@Gemma sorry do you know if the team have actually managed to get a hold of an Xbox to test with? I only ask because it's a very easy issue to replicate. You literally just set up the xbox, put it on energy saving mode then turn it off and on again.

Jayach

@spinoir wrote:

@Gemma sorry do you know if the team have actually managed to get a hold of an Xbox to test with? I only ask because it's a very easy issue to replicate. You literally just set up the xbox, put it on energy saving mode then turn it off and on again.

I'm willing to bet they don't even have a Vodafone router, let alone an Xbox.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our team will have used both a Vodafone router and the console, to try to recreate the issue from the information provided in this thread. 

Please get in touch as @Gemma has mentioned with the requested information, so we can continue to gather examples and investigate this. 

Thanks everyone 🙂