Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Thanks @ZinGeRs 

I am sorry for the experience everyone has had and I have fed all of it back. 

Just got setup  with Gigafast yesterday , everything was fine last night, but  same issue as everyone else after I came back to xbox series x  today and it was all weird, was connected but wouldn't play games etc .

Saw this thread and  gave  things a try no success still disabled the router firewall which then it let the xbox connect properly, and remained so  even after reinstating the  router firewall.

Until  powering off (not set to Instant on, not to keen on cooking my xbox).

Went to live chat on Facebook as advised , got to an operator  whom I described the problem to and over an hr later no response !

Looks like the router is perhaps creating a firewall exception that is then getting broken after the  xbox  powers down and  breaks the connection, which it is then unable to repair itself, which I assume means creating a static ip and  running thru dmz unless there is a solution in the offing.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Dougiemck wrote:

Just got setup  with Gigafast yesterday 

Are you new to Vodafone, or did you upgrade to FTTP and are still using the same router?

I don't think your problems are related to what is described in this thread. Everyone here says their problems are alleviated by going through a switch, so it's not likely to be a firewall problem.

Yes new to Vodafone  gigafast and new router,  not  entirely sure it appears to be the same issue  and using the firewall turning off , doesn't solve the issue,it only allows me to use  xbox live properly until the next time the  xbox is powered off.

My assumption would be the switch is holding the assigned  ip that is allocated to it ( thus the xbox) and  does not get dropped off the firewall, but that may be me filling in blanks that are not there?

jest for Ref  Firmware  is 19.4.0551-3261103

My speeds have been dire to what I should have been getting. My downloads have always been OK getting 940ish download my problem was the upload speeds seemingly capped at 140 countless calls and chats ended because I didn't have a clue according to the xperts.

I ended up biting the bullet and buying an Asus router and once setup I am receiving the correct upload and download speeds of over 910 and as its a wifi6 router even over WiFi I'm pulling 850 download and 771 upload.

Also no more disconnected errors with the Xbox series x regardless of power mode setting

I shouldn't have to buy my own router to sort the issue out though and even after informing the WiFi xperts that I have fixed it myself they still call me a liar

ZinGeRs
12: Established
12: Established

Definitely appears the way to go these wifiberks no jack it honestly is a flow diagram they go through its like being stuck in a hamster wheel when you try and talk to them.

I was warned of this comments such as great when it works but God help you if anything goes wrong even I get the impression from my dealings with them that even the fools at VM appear to have more of a handle on what they are talking about than these, mind you the bar is very low.

Just out of curiosity even as you say you shouldn't have to buy anything what Asus router did you purchase?

@ZinGeRs  It's taken 6 weeks of lies to get round to this point but now everything works as it should. I was lucky I received a 150pound amazon voucher through my life insurance so the new router actually cost 6.98.

I was looking for a wifi6 and gaming router but never in the past got round to it but this myriad of issues forced my hand to see and hope that a new router fixed it as Vodafone refused to say that their equipment was faulty.

Luckily it did and the router I went for was the Asus RT-AX82U set up was easy with the ppope log in details provided by Vodafone chat support and now all issues are sorted Xbox is fine and my upload speed is matching my download of around 930to940 also with it been a wifi6 router devices like my phone and tablet are also hitting 800+ upload and download speeds

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for our delay in getting back to you regarding this @Dougiemck, I can see one of my colleagues has reached out to you about this now. If you can keep working with them, I'm sure we'll be able to get you reconnected shortly.

Just to  keep this thread updated,   they messed around with something today, when i was out of the house as my  firmware has  gone backwards and my ip has changes from a Vodafone broadband to  a Vodafone wholesale. But there  now appears to be no issue with my  Ethernet connected x box series x on the   Energy save mode or none i can replicate.

My questions is why i was getting told on the phone today that  they wanted to send me a replacement router to see if it fixed  the issue and  if reinstalling the firmware  would fix the issues oh and that apparently  their firewall blocks nothing?

Current firmware version as of 25/07/2022
19.2.0203-3261005

on the 22/07/2022
Firmware  is 19.4.0551-3261103

Same firmware mine has been on and mine only consistently works with the switch in place. Admittedly not tried putting it direct to the box as was waiting for this so called firmware update.

Interesting