Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the comment about other ISP having the same issues... unless you're talking about other Full Fibre to the House connections?

I've been to another property and tested this (in fairness, standard Virgin Fibre) and I cannot replicate the problem I'm having with Vodaphone.....

Issue with Vodaphone router it seems (ethernet switch still working so far)

@Jayach 

My problem started out  with the xbox connection issue, at that point I hadn't  looked into the speeds I was getting( or the errors the router was  recording).

Now that initial issue  of my Xbox  not connecting properly when left  hard wired and  powered down, has been so far 'cured' by  the downgrading of my routers  firmware, then yes  my issues may have nothing to do with that but they also may be a symptom of the 'cure' that has been carried out. Bearing in mind the 'cure' has allowed my xbox to reconnect multiple times from  Energy Saver mode without issue so far and side effects might be worth  noting?

Exact same issue after moving from BT.

Saying "turn off power saving" is not a fix and it only works because it keeps the connection alive for longer.

I play xbox a couple of times a week so don't want it using unnecessary power, and I don't want to have to mess around for 30 mins each time trying to get it to connect.

I'm trying to leave Vodafone now mainly due to the complete lack of acknowledgement or responsibility taken.

To add to this, I went to live chat for support and all they kept doing was trying to get me to upgrade saying it "should fix the issue"

Screenshot_20220728-101201_Photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220728-100938_Photos.jpg

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Masters wrote:

To add to this, I went to live chat for support and all they kept doing was trying to get me to upgrade saying it "should fix the issue"

That really is bad, the level of broadband connection will make no difference to the Xbox connecting to the router. The likely hood of you getting another router on upgrading is remote, and they definitely wouldn't send an engineer to fit it.

I've found live chat to be pretty good when I have used them. (unlike social media) , but they are definitely not going to be able to help with this problem.

Jayach

@Dougiemck wrote:

Now that initial issue  of my Xbox  not connecting properly when left  hard wired and  powered down, has been so far 'cured' by  the downgrading of my routers  firmware, then yes  my issues may have nothing to do with that but they also may be a symptom of the 'cure' that has been carried out. Bearing in mind the 'cure' has allowed my xbox to reconnect multiple times from  Energy Saver mode without issue so far and side effects might be worth  noting?

I have still not had the new firmware (19.4.0551-3269046?) Has anyone else?

But if, as you say, it does not occur on 19.2.0203-3261005, then a firmware fix is definitely possible.

It is really strange that your firmware has been reverted to that.

@Jayach I know. It's like taking a car to a garage because the wheels are falling off and the garage saying "we can put a bigger engine in, that should fix the issue"

@Jayach  I agree that a firmware fix  is possible and should be  what is happening, but I strongly suspect they  have broken something in  their firmware upgrades and they do not know what  and somewhere away from  the  customers eyes their is a team of stressed out software engineers tearing their hair out and getting tasked with fixing all sorts of problems that  technical support are reporting. Meanwhile managers are  involved and fighting their corner for what they think needs fixed and meanwhile customers are  still getting s substandard product, till the stars align and the correct fix gets applied properly for each issue.

Jayach

Much like most large organisations, with too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

@Masters

I love the fact the deal they are offering isn't even a deal either it's well expensive