Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

ZinGeRs
12: Established
12: Established

@Cynric wrote:

Have I got it wrong, but don't the both devices at each end of a cable negotiate? If so, then wouldn't the 1Gb fall-back to the highest it could attain allowing for packet retries when communicating over either a lower specification or damaged cable?

Was thinking that myself unless completely damaged (of which it would say no connection anyway) that it would renegotiate to a lower speed in this case 100 or if really bad 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

As I understand it they do negotiate, but only on what each are capable of. The negotiation takes place at 10Mbs.

Once they have decided the highest they can both do, they switch to that. If the cable is unable to handle it, it will simply fail at that point.

At least that is how it worked between 10/100, maybe there is some extra algorithm with 1Gbs.

If anyone knows better, I am happy to be corrected.

I've not tried with the new cable, but the cat5 cable I have is original cat5 and not the cat5e that was introduced later. I don't know a lot, but from what I've read online 100mbs is the maximum speed this cable can handle. Previous contract was for 100mbs anyway, so it didn't matter.

I bought a new drill bit, grommets and found a loose floorboard, so I'm installing the cable tonight. It just won't be hidden behind the plasterboard. Fingers-crossed! 😁

Can we keep this thread on track so Vodafone actually may take note rather than turn it in to a home DIY thread

Jayach

Boo. You're no fun.

I guess he has a point though. Haha.

Final update: wired connection now installed, so with the TP Link switch as well as the cat6 cable I was getting DL speeds of between 700mb and 1300mb between 7-10pm, which I guess that is peak time. Thanks again to those who responded to my cries for help.

Jayach

@da1e85 wrote:

Can we keep this thread on track so Vodafone actually may take note rather than turn it in to a home DIY thread

I was being flippant earlier, but it seems Vodafone has no intention of fixing this problem, no matter how many posts are made on the subject. At least there is now a work-around. I wonder whatever happened to the proposed firmware update?

Firmware updates don't even seem to work. I'm just hoping they release a new router soon.

Jayach

Firmware updates do seem to work, when they are available. The "check for update" option in the router doesn't however.

Think this might a valid enough reason for the ombudsman to allow me to leave Vodafone. I give up trying to connect sometimes. Support is terrible. Wifi is terrible. Ethernet doesn't work. Voda just wants to sell me faster speeds.

"Your provider hasn't done enough to solve an issue"