Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

DaveyGrohlton
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Ah jeez.

I just had Voda fibre installed on the 1st. Wife used Xbox wired first day, no issues.

Today, it just won't connect at all.

I've opened all ports (done this many times, confident no mistakes made)

Xbox is on 192.168.1.10, all ports assigned for that IP address under general (any device)

This is crap. Our Up/Down speed is 900+mbit wired. On Wireless it maxes out at a poxy 80mbit.

Is there any fix for this? If not, I'm happy to bin off Vodafone and go back to TalkTalk as I'm still in the cooling off period. Had absolutely no issues on TalkTalk - EVER.

And there you have it. I have a spare powerline connection lying around, so I simply took the direct ethernet cable out of the router from the xbox and plugged it into the powerline instead. Works, but now I'm limited to Powerline speed (250mbit, if I'm lucky) instead of the 900mbit I'm paying for.

Not great! The Xbox was the only thing that can take full advantage of the speed as the other powerline devices are across the house. So I'm now paying for 900mbit broadband but I can't use it.

Vodafone have massively F'd this up. No material response or solution and as far as I can see, it's a software error and it's been ongoing for years. 

This isn't some obscure Wifi Light bulb thing... it's an Xbox. It's one of the most-owned home electronics devices, and for some reason it's incompatible with Vodafone routers.

So Vodafone can either give me a different router, or credit my account for the cost of this Argos network switch we apparently all need.

@DaveyGrohlton  I tried many times to get the other router or broadband cancelled and they wouldn't do anything with paying more. They even refused to open a complaint for me because "the issue can be resolved by the user by using wifi"

@DaveyGrohlton  if you're still within the cooling off period get out while you can! Trust me! Counting down the days till my contract ends.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@DaveyGrohlton 

As you have joined this thread, you presumably have the problem of the Xbox not coming back on-line after energy save.

It is known that using a simple switch overcomes the problem (which is basically what your power line was doing)

Is that not a suitable "work around" for you?

Well, no because that limits me to 250mbit and I am paying for (and getting) 900mbit on a wired connection. The Xbox is the only thing that's wired, all other devices are across the house on a homeplug where I'm lucky to get 80mbit.

As the WiFi seems to be stuck at 70-80mbit and the Homeplug next to the router taps out at 250mbit then that's that. I'll have to stump up for an ethernet switch I shouldn't need because after 2+ years Vodafone still hasn't sorted this out.

Jayach

@DaveyGrohlton wrote:

Well, no because that limits me to 250mbit and I am paying for (and getting) 900mbit on a wired connection. 

Why do you say that, a gigabit switch won't slow your connection?

Jayach

@DaveyGrohlton wrote:

I'll have to stump up for an ethernet switch I shouldn't need because after 2+ years Vodafone still hasn't sorted this out.

They are about a tenner, and the xbox has that problem on other devices as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS1005G-Wallmount-Ethernet-Splitter/dp/B07VWB347G/

Still I doubt anything will satisfy you, so yes, you're probably best to go back to TalkTalk.

What are you? Some white knight for Vodafone? Xbox has this issue on other devices - like which?

I am satisfied with the broadband speed. I'm not satisfied that a large ISP provides a router that is incompatible with a very popular Home Entertainment Device, and while official support are busy stuffing their fingers in their ears, they have people dancing along merrily telling other people that it's totally normal to have to buy additional equipment to make a bog standard router work with a popular games console.

Anyway, father in law actually purchased one of those in 2020, so I wonder if he still has it. Cheers for the link.

Jayach

There have been reported problems with the xbox power savings feature going back years, however I can't find any right now.

Yes it is strange that the THG3000 has this problem, it's a pretty standard router and no device other than the xbox has these "waking from sleep" problems with it. (AFAIK).

It would be interesting to know if the router it is based on (Technicolor DGA4231) also has the problem, or if it's caused by the Vodafone custom firmware. I've got a DGA4231, but not an xbox, or I would test it.

@DaveyGrohlton wrote:

they have people dancing along merrily telling other people that it's totally normal to have to buy additional equipment to make a bog standard router work with a popular games console.

Nobody is saying that, but it happens to be a "work around", as does turning off the power save feature. (if Microsoft still allow that)

Vodafone have been using the THG3000 for over 3 years (and it's a design going back way longer than that) so hoping they are going to make any changes to it now is unlikely to happen, especially as they have a new router, but are only supplying that to Pro II customers.

Hope the father-in-law still has the switch.