Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Urglepop  Who are you replying to?

The solution is to use an unmanaged switch between the Xbox and the router.

Kye90
2: Seeker

I only joined Vodafone a month ago and was struggling to solve this problem myself.  Just got a new router off them, with slightly more recent firmware, which of course didn't help...  It seems they're not aware of this thread then.

My questions at this point are:

1)  Is it only the THG3000 router that is affected?  Or does it also happen with their fancier router?  (don't know the name of it)

2)  Does the 'switch' solution work 100% of the time for everyone?

3)  Why's it called a 'switch'...?  What exactly is being switched...?

4)  To what extent can the THG3000 be trusted in general...?  Is it just a dud that should be replaced with a 3rd party router anyway...?

Thanks.

Cynric

@Kye90 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

OK I've done the hard lookup for you, so I'll leave you to use the forum for the other questions. 

Both of Vodafone’s routers have the same issue, I started with the black one and then paid more money for the brand new WiFi 6 white router wich actually was worse as its WiFi also didn’t connect along with wired connection. I am just so confused how one router doesn’t work with wired connection and the more expensive one doesn’t work with wired or WiFi. 

Jayach

@James35760 

Are you saying it doesn't work at all or just doesn't wake from energy save?

You need a switch that’s the only thing that works. It’s only £8 

Ripshod

There are non-vodafone routers with the same issue. Can't remember where I read it so I can't link directly, but there's various levels of standby power on the xbox. Would be worth playing with those settings. I believe success came from the usb port setting, somehow disabling power savings stopped the connection loss on startup. I know, it shouldn't work like that yet apparently it does. 

No that doesn’t work either been tried by many in this thread!

Kye90

So...  for years they've been taking people's money, and providing routers that might only connect to an Xbox via ethernet if the customer is willing to buy an extra piece of hardware...?  And they had to figure that part out on their own...?  (I'm assuming)

How long will this be allowed to continue?  Has anyone actually made a complaint?

At what stage should Ofcom get involved?

Surely customers are entitled to connect via ethernet to their games console and get the full speed they are paying for.  

They're not meeting their minimum speed guarantee on that device, if their own hardware prevents you connecting in the manner that will allow it.

Cynric

@Kye90  You're coming to this a bit late (we're on page 41) and it hasn't been resolved. People have complained and the outcome is that the service relates to speed up to the router. There is a minimum speed quoted by VF and as long as that is met at the router nothing will be done. The awkward bit is the speed is effectively measured up to the internals of the router and not its LAN ports or WiFi connections. If VF also said that in precise circumstances with particular equipment with precise settings then, and only then, the speed over LAN is X bps and over WiFi is Y bps, then we'd all be able to understand if the fault really is the router or our equipment.

Any hardware after the router is not the responsibility of VF.