Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@James35760 wrote:

No he is not, it happend to me when I got the the white new router! Had to put it back! If anyone finds a fix let me know!

Why you giving out bad info

Not really bad info, I did ask which router @Ex-Xboxer has, as my only experience is with the THG3000.

However, yes, I must have missed your previous post, so that makes 2 of you with Xbox Wi-Fi problems. Still don't think it is a common problem though.

@Ex-Xboxer Thanks for confirming that turning off IPv6 didn't help.

It’s same problem as the wired connection but with WiFi. God knows what is causing WiFi to do same as the wired connection. So one router it’s wired the other it’s the WiFi. 
Sorry didn’t mean to be rude thought you was one of the Vodafone so called helpers!

Oseb
  • Just to chime in on this subject, I too am facing this problem on with my Series X and am considering leaving Vodafone soon due to this and other problems. I’m on full fibre 910 and my connection in games is strange too like in rocket league the ball zigzags randomly at times even though my ping looks fine. These issues never happened with Virgin broadband? I’ve seen people suggest getting an unmarked switch but we shouldn’t have to when this is clearly a Vodafone issue

J1ukk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I’ve had the same issue and currently pulling my hair out with this. I’m on the phone to Vodafone on a daily basis, have you tried connecting your Xbox to the WiFi booster they provide? This seems to work for me however my Xbox is right next to my router and therefore my booster also needs to be right next to my router and this is a problem within itself as the booster isn’t doing its job and it’s also interfering with my WiFi connections to the rest of the house. Vodafone advised me to buy a 6m long Ethernet cable in order to move the booster away from the router and run the lead to the Xbox, I found this totally ridiculous as who wants Ethernet cables running across your living room/bedroom floors constantly

Also does anyone know any isp’s that this issue wouldn’t arise? I’m thinking I’m left with no choice but to leave Vodafone but dont want to run into the same problem and go around in circles? 

Cynric

@J1ukk I presume that you have tried connecting the Xbox to the router with ethernet cable, but have you tried Xbox to switch to router all by ethernet cable?

As you have found, you really do not want the booster in the same room as the router.

Hi, I haven’t tried this method as of yet but I will be purchasing a switch to see if this solves the issue and therefor can use the booster elsewhere in its rightful place, annoying that customers have to go out thete way to purchase extra equipment in order for it to work but it is what it is 

I agree it is frustrating that these problems are on their end and they won’t fix them, do you experience any weird connection problems in games like lag spikes? Also reply hear if the switch works when you get it. Thanks 

Irnbru
1: Seeker

Sorry if this has already been suggested but after months of fighting I found something that works for me. 

On WiFi the Xbox connected every time without issue.

On wired it would intermittently fail to connect. Necessitating recreating the MAC address on the xbox and a restart. This could happen multiple times then it would connect. 

The error log on the router showed errors relating to ethernet port 1.

The issue looks to be a combination of the Xbox trying to connect both wirelessly and via ethernet both have the same Mac address so the router refuses one connection. It's a race condition for what gets connected first and the other gets refused.

The fix I found was to delete,/forget the WiFi connection on the Xbox and just use the wired one. I guess that can go the other way too if you want WiFi use it with he ethernet disconnected.