Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

asus ac88u- internet cable not plugged in

darlyboy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

hi. ive got a asus rt ac88u and i have followed all the set up instructions and settings for set up with pppoe etc. i have installed latest merlin firmware to.

but the router keeps telling me the internet cable is unplugged and wont connect i have changed cable and still works with VF router when i connect to post the question here.

anyone any ideas why it keeps giving this message?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Are you on FTTP or FTTC as the RT-AC88U doesn't have a modem so will only work without an external modem on FTTP.

i just plugged it in and used the settings i saw on here i thought this router has a modem. ill look at this setting and see if its on. 

Jayach

ASUS routers with a modem usually have a DSL prefix to the name.

yes its on fttp

Jayach

In that case it should just need an ethernet cable from the fibre connection box to the WAN port on the router.

I have not used ASUS routers but most routers will have a auto detect  function so try setting it back to defaults and allow it to boot up with the cable connected. It should at some point ask for your Vodafone username and password and hopefully discover the rest for itself.

Other than that I think you will need to wait for someone with greater knowledge of your router. 

thanks i tried that through my VF modem and a couple of different things but with no luck hopefully someone will be able to help, thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

You may need to go into the LAN > IP TV> ISP Profile > Manual > VID: 911 & apply.

It's also worth checking that the username yo were given ends with broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Jayach

The error message "internet cable not plugged in" suggests something rather more basic than incorrect username and password or missing VLAN setting.😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jayach wrote:

The error message "internet cable not plugged in" suggests something rather more basic than incorrect username and password or missing VLAN setting.😕

The usual error on Asus routers would actually be> Internet Status: Disconnected

I've not seen "internet cable not plugged in" - but then maybe I've never run the router without a cable plugged in :Winking_smiley: