Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

no internet today on 5G , but 2G works fine

gipjon
16: Advanced member

on my laptop and also my son's laptops, No internet today on 5G wifi and I get a nice screen telling me that my internet is down and it says " activation please insert your mobile stick " 

on the wife's tablet, No internet today on 5G wifi and I get a nice screen telling me that my internet is down and it says" activation please insert your mobile stick "

If you disconnect from 5G wifi and reconnect on 2g wifi the internet is up and running

ethernet is also up and running. 

i don't have a mobile stick and my wifi is split

2022-12-02.png

3 REPLIES 3

CrimsonLiar

To be honest the two most likely scenarios are either malware on a device taking over the 5GHz band, or a botched router firmware update from Vodafone - my money is on the latter!

Jayach

I'd suggest factory resetting the modem. Is there a good reason why you split the Wi-Fi bands?

In order to get that screen message, you need to be connected to the modem, therefore 5 GHz must be working.

Sounds like a hiccup in the software.

gipjon

well, there is definitely a new flaw in the router's firmware which did not use to be there.

This may be the reason why Vodafone routers keep going unresponsive where the only option is to turn them off from the electricity and turn them back on. Wonder how many people have phoned Vodafone up to be told, hold the reset button to reset the router 

I very much doubt that Vodafone will admit or even do anything about it as I bet this firmware flaw may not be affecting routers with the backup stick or wifi boosters plugged into them ( pro broadband )