cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"Pro Superfast 2" - Marketing excercise or genuine improvement in fibre connection?

Rye1
4: Newbie

Hello...

It looks like Vodafone are adding a couple of 'new' options for home broadband, and a friend of mine (existing VF customer) has received an 'offer' of the new "Pro Superfast 2" for the same (ish) price as her existing 'Superfast 2'. Naturally she's tempted by the promises of 'super wifi' and 'a guarantee' and 'dedicated experts' etc. especially as she currently experiences speed drops, lags etc.

Question is, does this 'Pro' Superfast really change the actual supply she would get, or is it simply a glorified new router upgrade with some extra phone support, or a real change in fibre connection? When trying a dummy purchase of the new 'Pro' service in an adjacent address, speed availabilty remains at 38mbps & 63mbps for both 'Pro' and 'non-Pro', so I'm looking to get to the actual service upgrade?

My real consideration is that the standard 38mbps vdsl should already be absolutely FINE as it is, and work as it should, and should need no 'dedicated wifi experts' etc? (The wording in the new blurb states "Faster Fibre Promise

Upgrade to faster, more reliable, full fibre broadband technology at no extra cost, when it becomes available for your home. That’s a promise..").

I'd like to check this out before recommending staying with her existing plan (and not sign up to a full 2yr commitment) and put in a new improved modem/router to see if that improves things? And if that doesn't, then have Vodafone do a full line check etc..

Any thoughts?

😉

4 REPLIES 4

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

CabinetTest.png

It is Fibre To The Premises, which will be a new "cable" and an exterior wallbox, drill thru the wall and mount the FIBRE modem is my guess.  

The site/route of the kit should be negotiated, as it needs a socket or two for power.

As of a week ago my potential speed could be..........

G.fast Range A (Clean) 

FTTP on Demand

Vodafone offer....

Sorry, something went wrong

We could not complete that request. Please try again – if the problem persists, please call us on 08080 044 668 (Home)

Which bodes well methinks.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The actual connection is the same.

The PRO bit appears to be some form of WiFi extenders and WiFi Xperts who "who will proactively monitor and fix any issues you might have" No mention that they will be responsible for the DSL connection. Oh, and of course the 4G fall-back should the DSL fail.

The router still looks to be the same device, possibly with updated firmware, but it will have no effect on her line sync speed.

If her "speed drops, lags etc." are due to WiFi issues it may be worth upgrading, but if they are due to line issues then there would be no difference.

What router does she currently have and is she in contract?

Thanks all..

@Jayach

She got the same as I originally got in 2017 - a Vodafone HHG2500 and is out of contract (on both broadband and mobile).

I myself switched to a TP-Link W9970 which works fine in a small flat, so I'm wondering whether to send her in that direction as it's only £30 or so. With my setup I do get occasional speed meltdown(s) but I'm putting that down to possible Covid overload at the moment, and then simply run a hotspot from the phone.

Her connection is being used for Zoom & Skypes as well as some TV streaming onto a laptop, and as it's a large block of flats, it's unlikely she'll get be any upgrades to any her individual address.

It does seem that the new 'Pro' offer is a 'peace of mind' option, but although she's been offered it for £26, she'll need to sign up for a full term, and then likely end up on the full £36.. I'm just convinced the simple 'Superfast 2' 39mbps should be totally adequate for her needs. Seems you get a WiFi extender with the 'Pro', but that can be bought cheaply. And as for the 'dedicated WiFi Xperts' - I'm just not sure... Shouldn't tech support be standard issue 🤔

Jayach

The newer THG3000 router is an improvement over the HHG2500 and is probably all that is required in a flat.

She would get one of those if she took out a new Superfast2 contract, but that would only be a couple of pounds cheaper than the PRO with the offer. It's always difficult to make decisions for other people as you will feel guilty if doesn't work out.