cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GigaCube - Sudden performance loss (23/09/24)

nickpiggott
2: Seeker

I have a Gigacube installed remotely to provide Internet to some equipment. It was installed in March this year, and has worked pretty much exactly as expected, with acceptable throughout on a reasonable 5G signal.

The device seems to auto-renew its network connection every 48 hours, which causes a brief disconnect and reconnect.

This morning, when it did that, it was down for longer, and when it came back online the performance was atrocious. I am getting some throughput (~2Mbps), but its so slow that the user interface (which is almost entirely coded in Javascript) is timing out, so I can't see what's going on. I got someone to power cycle it, and it was briefly fine (60Mbps), and then a couple of minutes later, the throughput collapsed again.

I feel like it might have had an over-the-air update to the firmware that's badly hit the performance. Does this sound like a plausible explanation, and if so, I guess that means I have to physically go to it to factory reset it?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

nickpiggott

Update - through some perseverance and Javascript hacking, I got into the device UI. The firmware hadn't been updated and there's no new version available, so I can rule that out.

I did a Restart, and similarly to when someone physically power cycled it, I was was getting 150Mbps down and 60Mbps up. But that soon crawled down to 2Mbps. and now it's unusable again. I've got 5 bars of 5G Signal.

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Hi @nickpiggott. We understand how both concerning and troublesome this must be. To further troubleshoot, can you please change your GigaCube network settings from 'Auto' to a manual network choice, the back to 'Auto' again? You can do via your Admin page: open a web browser and type 192.168.8.1 into the URL and click search - the default admin passwords to access the site are on the label at the base of the GigaCube unit. When you're logged in: 

- Navigate to the Settings tab
- Dial-up 
- From the dial-up dropdown, choose Network Settings
- Change the preferred network mode from 'Auto' to one of the listed network choices
- Apply (and confirm on the caution)
- Revert the change just made, changing the preferred mode back to 'Auto'

- Apply (and confirm on the caution)

If there's still no change, we would recommend creating a new APN. To do this, go back to the Admin webpage: Settings > Dial-up > Profile Management > New Profile. When you're here, enter the following information to create a new APN: 

- Profile name: internet (set it as a default by ticking)

- Username: web
- Password: web
- Authentication: Auto
- IP Type: IPV4 (Only)
- APN: Internet
- Set DNS Server manually (tick it)
- DNS Primary server:   8.8.8.8
- DNS Secondary server: 8.8.4.4

- Save
- Press the reset button on the bottom of the GigaCube for 10 seconds