cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ethernet download speed issue in the evenings, Edinburgh.

Doddie
4: Newbie

I'm in Edinburgh and my Windows 10 PC is connected to the Ultrahub via ethernet cable (it doesn't have wireless capability), the FTTP cabling was laid by Cityfibre.
For around a week now i've had terrible download speeds on my PC from around 17:00 through to midnight, either side of those times there is no issue with regular sustained speeds of around 940Mbps down and 840Mbps up.

Right now i'm seeing again, speeds of between 7-15Mbps down and 840Mbps up.

The odd things is that wireless speeds don't seem to be effected as confirmed on 2 mobile phones and a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, i don't understand how the Ultrahub is able to maintain it's wireless speed yet the LAN port is somehow slowing to a crawl.
e.g. if it is simply a network demand issue then surely it would effect a wireless connection as well?

All the speed tests above were using Ookla Speedtest.

Below are two tracert's, one to bbc.com, the other to bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.64.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms vodafone.ultrahub [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 84.65.128.1
3 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms 63.130.172.37
4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 90.255.251.117
5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 151.101.64.81

Trace complete.

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.64.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms vodafone.ultrahub [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 84.65.128.1
3 10 ms * 9 ms 63.130.172.37
4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 90.255.251.117
5 9 ms 9 ms * 151.101.64.81
6 10 ms * * 151.101.64.81
7 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 151.101.64.81

Trace complete.

Both tracert's were taken within 15 minutes of each other at about 9pm tonight, any insight into what's happening and why, and if there's anything i can do at my end, would be greatly appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

The first two octets of my IPv4 match my (local) gateway, and last night was smooth as silk. Latency and packet loss were the normail low and zero and speed was the max. However, IPv6 is still showing the same bump in tatency and packet loss while speed is still dropping below 5%.

With the above in mind how does it go for you peeps if you disable IPv6? Vodafone prioritise IPv6 over IPv4.

Curious how some folks come away unscathed. Last night was unusable for me. Gateway in Glasgow (or Edinburgh?), IP address with the same first 2 octets. Then got moved to England at 00:30 along with other folks it seems.

I’ve been moved too. Latency now 16ms instead of the usual 9ms.

Doddie
4: Newbie

I had a strange thing happen last night, at exactly 01:00 on the 10th... i know it was exactly 01:00 because i was waiting to join a livestream on YouTube that began at 01:00 BST... but at exactly 01:00 my internet dropped out.
What was strange was that i rebooted my PC and when that didn't work i went next door to where the Ultrahub and ONT are, white light on the hub and 4 green lights on the ONT.... back to my PC still no internet, rebooted again and still no internet.... almost as a last resort i logged into the Ultrahub from my PC (wired) and in that moment my internet sprang back into life.

I didn't think much of it at the time but i did notice a drop in upload speed when i ran a speedtest at 01:06.... upload was still 928 but upload was then only showing 631 having been consistently 800+ for several days.
The next time i was able to run speedtests was from 19:08 today, the 10th, and while my download has been consistently around 870 to 940, upload has been well down from my norm of circa 840... 431 min to a max of 639.

Another oddity is that since the outage last night i seem to have been moved from Manchester to Watford.

For reasons i've never understood Speedtest.net has always since day one said i was <50 miles from Manchester despite living in Edinburgh and knowing there is a Vodafone server in Edinburgh.
Edinburgh was always reported as ~150 miles away.
Last night for the first time something changed because according to Speedtest.net Edinburgh is now ~250 miles away and Manchester is ~100 miles away.... yet apparently Watford is now only ~50 miles away???

Very strange but at least i still have speeds i can work with.

Same, I've been moved to a gateway even deeper into England last night, and my connection this evening has been near perfect. Not a single dropped packet all evening according to my BQM. All this shifting around sure feels intentional. It might mean they're actively working on something for the better. Why they couldn't just tell us this though, I have no idea.

9pm and 940Mbps, what is this sorcery! 

@RebelRose wrote:

9pm and 940Mbps, what is this sorcery! 

Haha! The Vodafone and Cityfibre engineers must have had a night out at the theatre to see Macbeth and afterwards got together around a cauldron in the server room with some eye of newt etc, chanting while stirring the pot.
And amazingly it worked! Apparently FTTP is now routed through the cauldron and it's been renamed "Fibre Through The Pot". 🤣

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

It appears the spell has finally expired and we're back to the old state again =(

Ripshod

I've had no problems since the last change back to the matching gateway/IPv4, seven days ago. Even IPv6 has flattened out. I'm dreading any disconnect or reboot now. 

Interesting. I haven't had any reconnects or reboots since I last mentioned, and the connection has been perfect since then, but tonight at 8pm it totally pooped the bed.