Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New FTTP

Madhatter
4: Newbie
Hi, I've had FTTP installed and using a Fritzbox 7530. Changed it to use modem and it's connected, the DL speeds are a 6th of what they should be. I am getting 83MB down and 57 up, package is 500 DL and 68 UL. Will it improve or is there a fault?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Madhatter

Just to bore you guys a bit further.😀

Whilst doing my research who to move to, I upgraded to 900MB in the desperation that it might make a difference and nada, exactly same speeds as on the 500MB package, had to ring up to confirm.

Waiting for my phone line to move to A&A, than am out of here, got 14 days to do it in.

View solution in original position

73 REPLIES 73

Madhatter

These are the speed tests from today, all done relatively closely together but vastly different results, some on the same server (YouFIbre)

Screenshot 2024-01-15 111606.png

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Madhatter 

I find it hard to accept that Vodafone have agreed your connection speed (there isn't really a sync speed on full fibre) is below your guaranteed minimum, and yet have done nothing but offer you a Wi-Fi booster.

I can't help but feel there is some miscommunication here.

What results do you get from the Vodafone speed test via an ethernet connection direct to the THG3000?

Is there another device you can use, other than your work laptop, as that may have security software/VPN, that may interfere with the connection?

Internet speed test | Vodafone UK

@Jayach My speed guarantee is 250.

To indulge VF, I called the number on the SMS for the complaint I submitted and they carried out further speed tests and again said it was below the minimum guarantee. 

The conversation actually started with, she had found a fault and would arrange an engineer and when I pressed her on it would not say what it was, and then decided to do speed test, two in fact and spent nearly 45 minutes in total on the phone. The Engineer was never booked and escalated to Level 3 support.

They are based in Egypt and have a fairly good grasp of English as a second conversation, I cant say the same for the technical skills though.

The speeds connected to the THG3000 some time are good as they are when I have the laptop connected to the switch  but they don't last long.

The work laptop, when I was on FTTC connected at more or less synch speed so I don't think security is an issue, I don't have anything I know for certain is GB enabled to test it. 

Another user had similar issues and I have asked them to reset the ONT as well as check and reset my profile in case something from FTTC time is interfering but they didn't listen or take it forward.

Could it be a routing issue? it can be occasionally good but then bad very quickly.

It is now back in the hands of 3rd level support.

As you can see from the above screenshots, the test to Youfiber servers was more than enough speeds for me and the MG but less than 30 minutes later, it had gone below 15MB and my network was no busier, if anything it was less traffic as I was the only one WFH. The most peculiar thing is the upload speeds are always stable, between 68 to 71MB on a line speed of 75.

Cynric

@Madhatter Looking at https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/technical-data/ I get the idea this device isn't suited to FTTP. It's a DSL router without a WAN port.

@Cynric  The LAN port on the fritzbox can be used as a WAN port and it worked fine when I did use it.

Since the speed issues, I have only used the Vodafone supplied router and will until resolved.

Madhatter

Should have listened to my gut and cancelled within the 14 days.

Things going from bad to worse. Tested window 10 download after speed test for once said 400mb, expected a fast download, started at 10 hours and went to 14 before calling it a day after 2 minutes.

Cynric

@Madhatter But a remote download from a Microsoft server isn't reliable. 

Ripshod

I agree with @Cynric, downloads from Microsoft are painfully slow, and not a valid test of speed - great test of patience though. 

Madhatter

whats a good site to test it out?

Jayach

@Madhatter wrote:

whats a good site to test it out?

How about Vodafone's version of the Ookla site I posted earlier.

Internet speed test | Vodafone UK

And then compare it with Ookla itself. (just to see if there is any difference)

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Testne.co.uk/broadband/speed-test