Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PING / LATENCY ISSUES ON AN EVENING

SV2
2: Seeker

Hello!

Trying to get my issue across to a bigger audience or possibly a tech team member because Vodaphone support sadly wont listen to me after 3 attempts.

Ever since my broadband was installed I've head great speeds/service. 9 PING, 900 down / 900 up.

For the past 2 weeks (im leeds based) the second it hits around 8pm my ping hits 160 and my download speeds get smashed to about 80/90 MB. I have no idea why this has just started to happen, but after 3 firmware upgrades, 2 new cables and 2 routers... the problem is still persistent.

9 ping, 900 down, 900 up - all day every day. 8PM, bang... service runs into the ground until 11/11:30.

Here's a tracing route to BBC and also photos taken just a few hours apart.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 132 ms 137 ms 127 ms 84.65.64.1
3 * 165 ms 194 ms 63.130.172.39
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 177 ms 155 ms 116 ms 151.101.128.81

111.png222.png

38 REPLIES 38

superleeds
4: Newbie

My speed tests from last evening and as if by magic as we approach 11pm, everything returns to 'normal':

superleeds_0-1727336416504.jpeg

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

@SV2 That traceroute seems a little odd to me. Are you connected via 4G? I ask because your traceroute shows you connected to an IP identified as a vodafone cell tower in Barking.

Absolutely not, im pretty tech savvy so can confirm that.

TLDR, the internet went offline in leeds about 1 week ago for 2 hours. Since then this is what happens on an evening, I wonder if they are trying to route us via a cell tower to try relive some of the congestion?

There's also now a reddit thread and many MANY people are coming forward, zero clue what Vodaphone or CityFibre have done here but its since the blackout last week, every night 7-11PM, 160 PING. Any other times, works flawlessly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CityFibre/comments/1fnxvtj/high_latency_on_new_vodafone_service/

Update from my end: Vodafone just called me to say the City Fibre engineer due out to me today actually worked remotely and "fixed the issue at the central exchange". I need to now see what happens during 7pm-11pm.

Interesting! Guess we wait :Smiling:

TeaBi

I also live in Leeds and am having the exact same problem you are.

Every night between 6pm - 11pm my download and upload speeds are heavily throttled down to around 150 up and 150 down (I pay for 900 up and down and get those speeds all the time except between 6pm - 11pm). And worse of all is the ping jumps to around 160ms and is extremely unstable.

This has been happening every single night for the past week at least.

I am not connected via 4g. My Ubiqity dream machine is connected directly to the hub I was provided with (for now). I need this issue sorting as it makes online gaming on the PC at night after work impossible. It's pretty unacceptible service for the amount people pay for high speed fibre direct to the property.

The below picture is from yesterdays outage. I will happily post updated pictures every day if it means this issue gets noticed and fixed.

Screenshot_20240926-1412512.png

Ripshod

They want to go back to the "Central exchange" and fix it for everyone else.

I smell............... 

🤣yes, they only fixed it for me. Sorry. Get your own engineer!

did they fix it for you? cos im back to 160 ##~## ping