cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is my wi-fi connection so much slower than LAN with fiber ?

fiberfan
4: Newbie

So since yesterday my 500 mbit connection went live and I get this speed no problem but with wi-fi it's way down only around 220 or less, is this to be expected ##~## with my previous 75 Mbit non fiber speed it was the same with LAN or wi-fi....

10 REPLIES 10

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Yes, you've reached the limits of your AC wifi. It likely won't ever go faster.

With 75Mb you were well under the limit so never saw it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing is for sure, at the higher connections speeds, like 500Mb, you won't reliably get bang on 500Mb even with your own excellent router and WiFi6.

Personally, I don't think 220Mb or less is reasonable. Is that really the upper limit for AC?

As a preliminary, it is worth going systematically through this Vodafone router guide. Make sure you have installed the VF app on your mobile phone and configured any booster devices VF may have supplied you. If you still have problems having fiddled around with location and router settings, get back to us if you are still getting subprime wifi.    https://www.vodafone.co.uk/newscentre/smart-living/how-to/shift-your-moggy-and-five-other-ways-to-bo... 

Ripshod

Depends on what it's tested on, distance from the router and background noise/cross channel interference. As for background noise a lot of that can come from the router's own PSU. Even an ordinary laptop with 2x2 AC would be lucky to reach 350Mb 2metres from the router. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So even though channel width can be increased to 80 MHz and the device is capable  of multiple spatial channels, it can't manage much better than 220Mb?  This is a good a reason as any for getting one's own router. 

Theoretically, an AC device can max at 7Gb, using all spatial channels and modulation, of course. 

Jayach

My wireless adapter with the THG3000 says it's connected at 433/433. 

Jayach_0-1682689511252.png

Not that it matters to me, I'm on FTTC.

Not sure, if I had faster broadband, I'd see anything like that in "real life".

I'll just have to put up with it I guess. with my old 2012 mac mini I only get 120 :Sad_face:

Jayach

@fiberfan wrote:

I'll just have to put up with it I guess. with my old 2012 mac mini I only get 120 :Sad_face:

If it's 2012 it will only be Wi-Fi 4, Wi-Fi 5 was introduced in 2014 (I believe)

Yes sure I realized it's an old wi-fi card in the mac mini, that's fine. OT but how do I quote a reply on here, can't find any option myself

Jayach

@fiberfan wrote:

Yes sure I realized it's an old wi-fi card in the mac mini, that's fine. OT but how do I quote a reply on here, can't find any option myself

Jayach_0-1682692541664.png

Like that. (picture will take a while to be moderated)