Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Advice on Phones to Connect to Full Fibre Router

KevinMillican
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I switched to Vodafone Pro FTTP full-fibre over 6 months ago and have been using my BT 8500 DECT phones without many issues until a week ago. For the past week I have been unable to make outgoing phone calls but incoming calls are working fine.

I spent over an hour with a very pleasant agent, who tried various things, and then concluded that my phones were incompatible with the VoIP system. They then advised that I needed to buy a new phone. I'm a bit surprised by this as they've been working OK for 6 months. I woould like to have similar features to the BT 8500s, ie. multiple handsets, shared contacts, and caller ID blocking/allowing with voice challenge. However, I can't find any indication that newer versions from BT would work, or any list on the Vodafone site of compatible handsets.

It is odd that there isn't any better advice available - I thought conventional phones were just supposed to work plugged into the router (as they have been for the past 6 months) 

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@KevinMillican wrote:

I spent over an hour with a very pleasant agent, who tried various things, and then concluded that my phones were incompatible with the VoIP system. They then advised that I needed to buy a new phone.

Utter cobblers. There is either a fault in Vodafone system (likely) or a fault in the DECT phones (unlikely).

Take the DECT system to a friends, or borrows a standard BT type phone to prove which it is.

Then I suspect you will be calling Vodafone back and telling they are completely useless at diagnosing problems.

fiberfan
4: Newbie

LOL haha I was on the phone also this afternoon and was also told my phone is incompatible.. They haven't got a clue. I don't believe the router is VOIP capable

Jayach

@fiberfan wrote:

LOL haha I was on the phone also this afternoon and was also told my phone is incompatible.. They haven't got a clue. I don't believe the router is VOIP capable

Of course the router is VoIP capable, loads of people are using it as such. (unless you mean you want to use a VoIP phone with it via the TEL sockets.

Any phone that will work in a BT/Openreach socket should work, as long as it uses tone dialling. (so none of your 1950's rotary phones.

I'm meaning VOIP HD /FM speech /  call quality which I now realize the Vodafone router is not capable of unlike the BT Hub which is. with it's included VOIP phone. Shame 

Jayach

That is so untrue, the BT hub is no more capable than any other suppliers, it just makes it easier to achieve.

We are talking about about voice connections, just how much "clarity" do you expect? 

Modern digital connections (be they DECT or VoIP, or a mixture of the two) are so much better than what we had before, is it worrying about?

Jayach

@fiberfan 

If you are so enamoured by the BT system, why are you not with them?