Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I plug my phone into router?

Chucklechops
2: Seeker

This may be a stupid question but here goes: So I got Gigafast installed the other day but the guys couldn't complete the installation because the line was down. Broadband is working now.

Seems that you connect your phone to the router rather than the box on the wall. The sockets on the Vodafone hub are RJ11, however, and my phone has a standard BT431 like most UK phones.

How do I plug my phone in?

34 REPLIES 34

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@heathhh wrote:

So advice for anyone else.... Don't bother calling Vodafone they are clueless. You need an adapter cable and plug your phone into the back of the router.

So many people are going for FTTP now, they really should supply one in the box.

Encountered the same problem. Installation of FTTP which seems to have all gone well. The new Openreach wall socket has been installed but has no way to plug in the UK phone. Contacted Vodafone by webchat and, after the normal long winded messing around, they said they wouldn't provide the adaptor, said I should buy one myself but offered to credit my account with £5.

So, I'm not out of pocket but had to go through a lot of messing around to understand the problem and then contact Vodafone to overcome something that they said would be provided.

I seem to be sorted but not a good experience.

@BadMojo have you had any luck resolving this at all please? Now find myself in the same boat having had decent service but no firm resolution from Vodafone support. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most UK phones actually use an RJ11 to BT431 cable, so it's usually a case of just getting an RJ11 to RJ11 cable.  If however, you have a phone with the cable hardwired then you can always buy a simple adapter.

JOHNSYMONS1957

Your DSL filter has 3 ports 1 male 2 female. Ignore the male. In the box the router came in should be a white extension cable , plug one end into router phone port the other into DSL filter which should have a port same end to plug in a Ex BT landline phone.