Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I plug my phone into router?

Chucklechops
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This may be a stupid question but here goes: So I got Gigafast installed the other day but the guys couldn't complete the installation because the line was down. Broadband is working now.

Seems that you connect your phone to the router rather than the box on the wall. The sockets on the Vodafone hub are RJ11, however, and my phone has a standard BT431 like most UK phones.

How do I plug my phone in?

34 REPLIES 34

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@SteveKiley wrote:

Are you sure tis works? Which end fits into the router? Well of course it must be the thing shown. But does it fit into the router, and does the original BT type connector fit into the other end?

This thread is about using Vodafone's VOIP phone service on FTTP, it will not work on FTTC. (In case that is what you have)

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @BadMojo, that's strange! I'd advise speaking with the dedicated Gigafast team when calling 08080 044 668 and they'll be able to confirm whether the phone adaptor should have been included with your particular package. If so, they can help with getting this sorted for you.

My Gigafast went live yesterday and I also learned that no adapter is supplied and my current BT synergy phone is no good when plugged into the router. 

Is there a cheap VOIP cordless handset available? Or will the adapter fix the issue with my old analogue phone?

Hi John, as I say above:

I connected my old analogue phone with this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVS5UZ2/

All the best

Thanks for your response.

• My Synergy isn't hardwired so i used the rj11 lead that came with the gigafast. Isn't that just the same as using the adapter?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our Gigafast team will be able to help advise on how to get your phone connected to your new router @johnoverall. You can call them from any UK number on 08080 044 668.

Brought a cheap adapter as advised and I now have a working phone. Thank you. Weird that a direct rj11 connection wasn't good enough. 

I ended up getting the problem fixed, but without any help from Vodafone (which I understand to be par for the course). I had a brainwave and dug out the box for my telephone, which is a Siemens VOIP phone. There was a spare cable with the correct plugs on, which I'm now using.

If Vodafone made it perfectly clear that the phone service would be VOIP and your phone would have to be plugged into the router and that you'd need a specific type of cable which is NOT provided, then fair enough - but they have done/do none of those things. Very poor.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @BadMojo @johnoverall - I'm really glad to hear you are up and running with your landlines now, I understand it was a hassle to get this resolved so thank you for your ongoing patience with us.

If you did need anything else, please don't hesitate to get on contact

So another "me too" for this issue - which is how I found this forum.

As I'm taking out the phone option I was told the connector would be supplied by the engineer from Openreach - and the instructions with the router say "if you ordered a telephone package with your broadband we will provide an adapter when we install your fibre connection box".  From what everyone is saying this isn't true, so I'm left without a phone until I can purchase an adapter.