Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline not working but broadband is

stevetbunn
2: Seeker

Hi I've had a problem for the past few days was hoping it would sort it's self out but it seems like it hasn't, I can't making or receive any calls on my landline but my broadband is not affected, really need help as I'm a carer for my mum who is classed as vulnerable and she can't call me when I'm out and none of her alarms which link to the phoneline work because of this, any help would be appreciated.

Steve.

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You need to report it to Vodafone who will call Openreach out.

Try ringing 08080 034 515 or use Live chat. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

JimMcDonald

I believe this has something to do with a Vodafone upgrade to service. Part of this (Super WiFi) requires pulling the phone plug from the BT socket and plugging it into a phone socket on the router. This normally sets the phone use up aok, but now it does not. I have no idea why, but currently the phone is not working.  we have spoken on the phone to Vodafone to discuss the issue and the "agent" had little or no idea what we were talking about; was obviously reading from a script that was inadequate. A VERY frustrating experience. They are useless; p[lease help.!!

Jayach

What you are referring to is digital voice. I've not heard of anyone being "upgraded", although both FTTC and FTTP new installs appear to be getting it. Previously it was only on FTTP.

Of course, just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

CrimsonLiar

There is a rollout plan for decommissioning the analogue phone system.  But if you are in an area where it's happening you'll normally receive communication from both OpenReach and your end provider.  Initially, it's just the analogue phone system that is decommissioned (I presume it also removes ADSL), leaving FTTC/VDSL up and running.  At a later date a second stage will decommission the copper phone cables entirely.  In some locations, the second stage may be a decade or more away!

Jayach

The PSTN (Public switched telephone network) switch off will happen in December 2025. After that all telephone services will be digital voice, even on any copper that is left.

The PSTN and ISDN switch-off: what it means for you | BT Business (custhelp.com)