Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone with own router on FTTP

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

Just got FTTP and everything is working fine off the VF router. Phone lines are plugged into the VF router, VF router's WiFi is switched off. 3rd party Mesh has been switched to Bridge mode and plugged into the VF's ethernet port.

However I am shocked at how feature poor the VF router is. e.g. There are no Parental controls at all. I know I can get rid of the VF router and plug my own Mesh router into the Openreach ONT, but what about the Landline. 

Are there any 3rd party routers in the market that have a telephone socket at the back to allow the home phone to be plugged in? 

663 REPLIES 663

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Read back through this thread. It was a common problem in the early days.

I had this issue on my HT801, but never managed to actually find a solution. The only fix for me was a factory reset and re-configuring it again.

The only difference is I didn't hear the ringing tone, only the dialling tone. I think it might have something to do with the codec used?

Xjacko
4: Newbie

I am getting similar issues using the Grandstream  801. Been working fine for months now calls ring but no voice when answered or rings in earpiece but not on receiving phone. I'm guessing something has changed VF side.

xle
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Is anyone else having trouble getting their SIP details out of Vodafone? The support agent I'm through to is pretty insistent that they no longer give out these credentials due to security risk.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/m-p/2752806/highligh... This reply from earlier this month indicates that this probably isn't the case?

Any help getting them to actually hand over the details would be appreciated - what have you asked for, specifically, when requesting them? I am asking for my "SIP/VoIP username, password, and server"

I got mine earlier this month, but they wouldn't give them to be via the phone. I had to use the live chat, and they sent me a text.

Thanks. It seems I'm out of luck though.

The support agent I was speaking to has confirmed that this is a recent change in policy and Vodafone no longer provide SIP/VoIP credentials to users. This policy went into effect on the 11th June 2024.

I am intending to raise a formal complaint about this because, in doing this, they have effectively altered the service that they are providing without notifying me - when I entered into this contract, I would have been able to receive this information and now I cannot - not very cool!

Oh wow, that's a terrible thing to hear, especially considering there's no mode or anything on the router to just use the VOIP side of things.

I got my details on the 5th, good job I did it when I did.

Yeah you got lucky! I'm just kicking myself - my service went live on the 5th and I could have got them if I'd only thought to ask then. Sucks to have missed so narrowly.

Not sure if this was just luck, but I have just managed to get SIP/Voip login details after being on a web chat to ask for the broadband login details first. So you may be able to get them still?

Very interesting! I will have another go tomorrow maybe. I already have my PPPoE details. Maybe you were lucky enough to be online with an agent who hadn't read the latest memo about the rule change? Who can say