Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone works... but won't ring

LP15
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have Pro Full Fibre 500 and have connected my old landline phone (a BT Duet 50) via an adapter (can't recall whether it was provided by Vodafone or not). If I call my landline number, I can pick up this phone and get a connection. But the phone doesn't ring (and yes, the ring function is switched on). Is it possible that the adapter or router doesn't supply enough power? Or do I need a new phone, and if so what sort?

16 REPLIES 16

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Some phones need a separates ring capacitor in the adapter, but not all have it.

Do you have any of the filters as used on FTTC, as those usually include the capacitor. Just try putting one in line with the adapter.

Picture of adapter with capacitor

IMG_20220329_011218.jpg

Edit: Like this: 

IMG_20230112_210118.jpg

Thanks for replying!

I'd rather not attempt to hack my adapter. (And I don't know what it is: it's unmarked and I've no record of ordering it).

Is it possible to get the right sort of adapter or the right sort of phone for this router?

Ripshod

A 4-wire modem lead (rj11 at both ends) will give the correct connection between the phone and the router's tel1 port. If the modem lead that came with the router has 4 copper connectors on the plugs you can use that, or order one of fleabay. Has to be 4-wire.

It still could be that something has gone wrong in the provisioning of your service.

The router shouldn't have a problem powering a duet 50. I understand the desire to keep this handset, working examples are becoming rare. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

A 4-wire modem lead (rj11 at both ends) will give the correct connection between the phone and the router's tel1 port. If the modem lead that came with the router has 4 copper connectors on the plugs you can use that, or order one of fleabay. Has to be 4-wire.

That still won't supply the ring signal. Most phones nowadays provide their own, but BT phones sometimes don't.

Thanks for the clue. Last time I bought on eBay a "BT Socket to RJ11 Plug 4 Pin Telephone Phone Cable Adaptor Converter UK". Does that sound like the right sort of thing?

And yes — I can call the landline, hear the landline ringing on the mobile and actually answer the call.

Jayach

@LP15 wrote:

Thanks for the clue. Last time I bought on eBay a "BT Socket to RJ11 Plug 4 Pin Telephone Phone Cable Adaptor Converter UK". Does that sound like the right sort of thing?

That sounds right, but it doesn't say it has the ring capacitor. this one does: RJ11 Plug to BT Socket Adaptor with RINGING CAPACITOR | eBay but it seems a tad expensive. (and no I haven't ever used that one)

This one's a bit cheaper, and the reviews suggest that the phone rings...

https://amzn.eu/d/aDua3wT

Jayach

They do don't they, but I wouldn't call it "magic" as one reviewer said. LOL

And as it's Amazon no problem returning it if it doesn't work.

Did you try to see if you had a DSL filter?

Jayach

Out of interest, do you still have the original BT socket and extensions fitted?