Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone works... but won't ring

LP15
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have Pro Full Fibre 500 and have connected my old landline phone (a BT Duet 50) via an adapter (can't recall whether it was provided by Vodafone or not). If I call my landline number, I can pick up this phone and get a connection. But the phone doesn't ring (and yes, the ring function is switched on). Is it possible that the adapter or router doesn't supply enough power? Or do I need a new phone, and if so what sort?

16 REPLIES 16

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Any standard BT type phone will work. I would try with the DSL filter first, I suspect it will work, and if you haven't got one ask around, anyone who has changed ISP a few times will have spares.

Ripshod

I missed one point. Have you tested with a mobile that you hear the ringing tone on the mobile and can actually answer the call? Just to confirm you're actually receiving incoming calls. 

Thank you !!

I can say that this suggestion works !! So many thanks.

Question remains how can the Vodafone SOGEA Adapter have it's own Ring Capacitor when you need the DSL Adapter with capacitor to make the ring curcuit ring ?

Many thanks

Jayach

@MagicFly wrote:

Question remains how can the Vodafone SOGEA Adapter have it's own Ring Capacitor when you need the DSL Adapter with capacitor to make the ring curcuit ring ?

Did you get a "VoIP" adapter from Vodafone, if so was it supplied with the router or did they send it after?

It probably doesn't have the capacitor, it should, but Vodafone probably got a job lot cheap without, as nobody else wanted them, LOL.

The one I showed came with a Technicolor router (DGA4231,basically the same router as the THG3000)

The problem doesn't happen very often, most modern phones generate their own ring signal internally.

Replying to say thanks for suggesting using an adapter/filter.

Just switched to Vodafone and house phones were not ringing for incoming calls.

The engineer, a nice chap, had plugged an adapter into the router so I could connect my old phone to it.

However, he had said only certain phones would be compatible.

When I looked in the box the router came in there was a DSL filter cable. Added that to the router adapter and now my phones ring on incoming calls.

I suspect some engineers don't realise the splitter is still needed for old phones.

Excellent! I can confirm adding the DSL filter block to a Rhino BT adapter works! Had the problem with the phone ringer not working with my old landline handset but didn't think to try adding the DSL adapter as well.

Jayach

@888 wrote:

Excellent! I can confirm adding the DSL filter block to a Rhino BT adapter works! 

I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) to hear the Rhino doesn't have the capacitor, I had felt sure it would.