Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Porting a landline

Mgpalmer
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My mum is moving to my address and needs to port her virgin media landline number as she has had it over 40 years and is how she connects to her friends and family. Vodafone said she could port her number to ours and would be active on 28th June. On my account on that date the number changed,  but actual landline didn't. I contacted Vodafone and they said it was a glitch and would be working by 3rd july.  It still doesn't work and they are now saying numbers can't be portrd from VM. Any advice how to keep number appreciated.  Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6

Charlotte

Hello, @Mgpalmer. I hope you're well. I appreciate how frustrating it must be to have issues with the porting of an existing landline number, as I recognise the need for this to be retained. As Virgin Media have their own infrastructure, this does mean that we cannot always guarantee the transfer of a number, but we'll always try our best. However, it does require additional requests on our side to move it across. You would need to reach out the Broadband Support Team on 03333 040 191, or speak with Live Chat here, for this to be looked into further.

Thanks Charlotte. Unfortunately I spoke to then and they told me it should be possible,  then when it didn't happen they told me it was a glitch and assured me it would transfer, now have told me it can't. The thing is if they had been honest at the start I would have uses a different company 

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Mgpalmer 

Are you trying to port the number to an existing Vodafone broadband service?

Porting of a number would normally only happen when starting a new service, there is probably no procedure for doing it later.

Yes to an existing service.  But if they had told me at the start it was not possible I would have taken a 2nd line with another provider 

JasonPC
4: Newbie

I would start a complaint with Vodafone complaints and then if that doesn't deliver take it to OFCOM. Being a new customer to VF I am realising the business has broken processes and disjointed teams internally.

Numbers only release into a pool for re-use after a period of time. I recall at my time in the telco land this was 6 months+ so you should have the ability to reclaim it unless deep in the terms and conditions of the Virgin contract but OFCOM have guidelines and can advise.

Vodafone complaints;

https://complaints.vodafone.co.uk/resource?id=11306244&db=vodafone

OFCOM complaints;

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/make-a-complaint/complain-about-mobile-phone-or-internet-services/changing-...

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you've had this kind of experience @Mgpalmer, it's not we want at the start of your time with us. As Virgin Media use their own infrastructure it can be difficult for us to transfer your number and we're unable to guarantee this, I'm sorry this wasn't explained to you sooner. Please keep working with our Broadband team directly regarding this, and I'm sure they'll be able to find you a suitable resolution.