Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stopping Scam Calls

THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

Before I joined VF, I was with Sky that I never received any "Scam" calls.

I have looked into this and it was because "Sky" uses a system where the caller has to record their name

then the the landline will ring, the name is played and I can decide if I want to accept the call and it works.

What is VF/BT waiting for implementing something similar to protect me and other customers?

8 REPLIES 8

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@THG3000-IPv6  They don't offer this service. If you want something like that look at True Call.

£100+ to get solved the mess that Ofcom is unwilling to sort out?
When solution exists and it works........

Is this not a contempt for the landline customers? Sky can do it, but BT, VF can't?

I have connect the landline because I have it, but I have an SipGate number of 10+y that is my primary landline and rings on all devices that I choose to etc. not being locked in yet again, transferring the landline into IMS system controlled only by the landline provider, instead of just deploying SIP or (SIP with TLS) .... and allow customers the freedom of choice ......

and for some strange reason never received any Scam calls on that number .....

Cynric

@THG3000-IPv6  Two thing to remember; firstly no communication provider is obliged to add these kinds of services, and secondly a large number, indeed possibly the majority, are coming in from abroad and outside the remit of Ofcom.

It is worth noting the following is being discussed; https://www.theregister.com/2023/11/29/uk_sim_farm_ban/

THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

The system that Sky uses works, and it's free :Smiling:

Ofcom is here to regulate ....therefore force companies to implement measures to protect customers .....

Jayach

@THG3000-IPv6 wrote:

The system that Sky uses works, and it's free :Smiling:.

Free to you, but it obviously has a cost to Sky. perhaps that helps explains the price difference between Sky and Vodafone?

It also has a benefit to Sky, It was a good reason to be with them, (I loved it) but price overweighed when I came to renew my broadband.

It's really not so important now all home phones will be digital soon.

The days of getting your home phone from the same supplier as your broadband are coming to an end.

UnoMaster
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I wish there was a way to block these calls. I got one just yesterday offering me a discount while I am still in contract. The way they speak on the phone is an obvious scam. After I finished the call, I looked for the number online and its happening to a lot of people. These timewasters need to get banned. 

Cynric

@UnoMaster That is a VF number. If you have experienced a problem with a call from that number it's best to make a complaint with VF and if their response is unsatisfactory then speak to Ofcom.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @UnoMaster - if you're ever unsure if it's us that are calling you, then please take a look at a list of the numbers we call from. My team can check if there's a record of who called you on your account and get any feedback looked into internally.