Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suggestions for home phone handset

Wardlelad
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have FTTP and a new router with VOIP turned on.

I have tried to connect my existing DECT phones to the router via a rj45 cable into the telephone ports but I get no dial tone.

Am I missing something or do I need newer handsets?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Wardlelad 🙂 Are you using the router we supplied? Are the phones VOIP compatible?  

Hi

@Amanda

i am using the Vodafone router yes.

I have the bt graphite 2100 trio which is a DECT phone and I believe it is VOIP but I'm not 100% sure

what is the process of connecting a VOIP handset do i just plug it into the router direct?

Apologies but I've never used VOIP before

Thanks

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not familiar with the handset @Wardlelad, but it should just plug into the router, if not you can connect it through an adaptor. If you can let us know which router model you're using, we'll be able to offer more information on connecting this.

HI @mark

I have a VCNT-I router, I do have some rj11 to rf11 cables but they don't work  I get no dial tone at all.

Could the router need resetting?

Thanks

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Wardlelad! Please click here for how to connect a VOIP phone to your router. If you're still having issues, please pop our Social Media team a message and they can happily check your account to make sure there's no problems on your line 🙂

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Sorry @Beth, but you do not use a VoIP phone with the Vodafone service, It's just a normal BT style phone.

You could use a VoIP phone, but you would need to buy a VoIP service from someone else.

@Wardlelad.There are a couple of possibilities why your phone is not working. It's possible the cable is incorrect, but it's far more likely they haven't enabled the service correctly.

Try calling on 08080 034 515 and see it they can check.

Jayach

@Wardlelad wrote:

I have a VCNT-I router,

Where did you get that name? I'm assuming you have a THG3000, which describes itself as:

Hardware Type & Version    Vox3.0v
in my router.

Yes it is a THG3000

I've ordered a this to see if it's the rj11 cables I'm using.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EVS5UZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_KWKK8TQRVRKJBEFKG6QH?_encoding=UTF8... 

Jayach

Yes that is the adapter we normally recommend on here. However it just takes the centre pins from the BT socket to the RJ11, so if your RJ11 cables are straight through (no crossovers) they should work.

Edit: It appears the adapter may include a ring/bell capacitor, which obviously wont be present in the cable.

Still worth trying though. I'm still betting Vodafone haven't configured something their end.