cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support said to buy a VOIP compatible phone when all I needed was an adaptor (not provided)

Zombanol
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Upgraded to fibre and the Openreach engineer used the "internet" cable to connect my phone directly to the new router. This was in line with the instructions. There was no convertor / VOIP adaptor in the box.  The phone showed "No Line".

Contacted support twice and on first time told it was because it takes 48 hours to be connected and second time they told me it was because my specified model of BT phone wasn't VOIP compatible and I had to buy a new VOIP compatible phone. I was deeply skeptical but they were adamant.

Searching the internet I came across https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/NO-Line-displayed-on-DECT-Phone-with-Full-Fibre-500/m-p/272... which pointed out that the original DECT phone connector might use the 2 outer pins and the provided "internet" cable uses the 2 inner pins. Upon inspection this turned out to be true. I obtained a standard BT to RJ11 convertor and used the original phone cable with it and it worked.

Not a question. Just provided for others reference, who receive this bad advice from Vodafone support.

1 REPLY 1

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Which router do you have? The Ultra router or the new Power Hub?

I can't believe Vodafone are still not proving the necessary adapter.