cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone support - “as per the latest update we are not authorized to share SIP details”.

autopilot
4: Newbie

Having entered online chat and asking “I need my SIP login details for Digital Voice, so that I can use my own VOIP adaptor instead of the Vodafone hub”, I was passed to a member of the ‘dedicated technical team’, and this is what the agent said (well the second technical support agent, as the first didn’t know what SIP meant)…

”I am really sorry however as per the latest update we are not authorized to share SIP details”. 

So having politely argued that I needed and and should be provided with it, and a long wait in silence, I was quietly passed to a third agent (I know because they signed off with a different name). I was then given my SIP credentials. 

Frustrating and strange conversation, but hey, at least they ended to conversation with a cringe, if not slightly passive aggressive “I genuinely hope your day continues to be fantastic , have a great time ahead and stay safe and healthy.” 😂

Anyway, I’m happy to have them (Grandstream HT812 en-route). But this begs the question - what ‘update’? In this an internal communication that they have a new policy to not disclose SIP details? While I got them after some perseverance, might they completely refuse at some point in the future? And if not, are they just the most inept ‘special detected support team’ in the mobile industry? (Actually no, that accolade goes to Three, but they are a close second with BT). 

3 REPLIES 3

billhinge
10: Established
10: Established

Its a bit silly since they sell a 2Gb service and provide a matching Digital Voice service but the router they supply doesn't support 2Gb Lan speeds and the only way to utilise the 2Gb WAN speed is to use your own router which requires them to provide the SIP details if you need Digital Voice. Not a very well thought out product or after service

autopilot
4: Newbie

Mods - I see this situation is covered well in the large thread for setting VoIP up. Please delete this one. 

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I guess it's possibly down to liability (as well as a support issue)... If you're careless with your credentials, and they fall into the wrong hands, you could end up with a bill in the thousands. If that happens, people will be quick to call expecting a refund for unauthorised calls.