cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transferring my home number to Voda. Why not working?

Shooby
4: Newbie

Hi all.

Transferring from TalkTalk to Vodaphone for Broadband and Line Rental. Went through the process on the Voda website, where it asked if I wished to take my existing landline number with me. "Yes, please..."

Entered my number, address, all my details, and it returned 'Cannot port this number. Could be because it isn't associated with this address (it certainly is) or because you have moved to a different area code (I haven't moved)'.

Phoned up Voda, and fellow there says 'it should be doable, but sometimes doesn't happen, and it's because TalkTalk haven't given permission. Call them up to release the number'. (I paraphrase)

So I called up TT. Lady there consulted with her supervisor, and then others, and came back with 'Voda needs to contact us to sort this and request the transfer...'

'How do they contact you?', I asked.  'Companies usually phone each other', she replied.

Both Voda and TT use BT Openreach - this should be a breeze to sort.  

So my Qs are - who should be sorting this out - TT or Voda - and what do I need to do or who do I chase up?

Many thanks 🙂

23 REPLIES 23

It's frankly embarrassing. TT and Voda have a porting agreement. All we are saying is "keep the existing number!" How can you misplace or lose a number. I won't be switching to VF in the future unless there is a guarantee in place of keeping your existing landline number. 

I just don't get it - I wish someone from VF would actually explain why it's such a hit and miss affair with existing landline numbers. What is the actual technical reason for it. As said, TT have informed me that they have a porting agreement with VF and many other providers????

Good job I didn't hold my breath, as Voda would have a deceased customer on their hands.

Yup, it's gone wrong. 2 weeks in, and lots of 'chat' promises that it would be sorted, my old number has gone from "This number is not receiving calls', to completely dead.

I am about to escalate the issue - wish me luck 😞

Very sorry to hear about that! 

I would also be very peed off. Can somebody from vodafone pls properly explain why they can't keep an existing number when switching provider?  A really sad state of affairs.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Shooby - I've replied to your other post