cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transferring my home number to Voda. Why not working?

Shooby
4: Newbie

Hi all.

Transferring from TalkTalk to Vodaphone for Broadband and Line Rental. Went through the process on the Voda website, where it asked if I wished to take my existing landline number with me. "Yes, please..."

Entered my number, address, all my details, and it returned 'Cannot port this number. Could be because it isn't associated with this address (it certainly is) or because you have moved to a different area code (I haven't moved)'.

Phoned up Voda, and fellow there says 'it should be doable, but sometimes doesn't happen, and it's because TalkTalk haven't given permission. Call them up to release the number'. (I paraphrase)

So I called up TT. Lady there consulted with her supervisor, and then others, and came back with 'Voda needs to contact us to sort this and request the transfer...'

'How do they contact you?', I asked.  'Companies usually phone each other', she replied.

Both Voda and TT use BT Openreach - this should be a breeze to sort.  

So my Qs are - who should be sorting this out - TT or Voda - and what do I need to do or who do I chase up?

Many thanks 🙂

23 REPLIES 23

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Numbers that were originally issued by TalkTalk often seem to be a problem, even if they have been ported to someone else in the meantime. Unfortunately I have no idea why that should be.

Thanks Jayach.

Tried again to transfer via the Voda website, and the same problem - 'cannot port your old number...'

'Chatted' up Voda, and was quite frank - tho' not rude - about this being something they must be aware of (I ain't the only one), that it ain't rocket science (sigh - I had to resort to a cliché), that someone - TT or Voda - was to 'blame', and that - since both are with BT Openreach - this really should not be an issue.

Was told they would DEFINITELY transfer it after I've moved to Voda BB - they'll call up BT and sort it.

"You sure?"

"Yup"

"Certain?"

"Yup Yup"

"Honest?"

"Yup Yup Yup"

So, I have joined Voda, transfer on the 30th. Let's see what happens 🙂

Jayach

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you. 🤞

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see it happening.

jerobik
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Exactly the same. I signed up to BT to Vodafone switch, "fibre to box" changing to "full fibre", retaining landline, and ticked the box that said "retain landline number". It was a saga to gain activation (another story) but I was shocked that when activation eventually happened I had been given a new number. Contacting Vodafone that day eventually leads to a promise that they have raised the issue and the problem with me being given the wrong number will be resolved in 5 days. Nope. Nada. No notification of issue, or solution.

I've now contacted them again and they are denying that porting the landline number is possible.

I feel I am being gaslighted severely. First, the ordering process allows you to request the same number. Second, the Vodafone broadband advisers promising it can be fixed.

Shocking.

Hi Jerobik.

I don't know what's going on, but I have at least had confirmation from TalkTalk that my number IS being transferred - it's a move to Voda, lock, stock, and thingy.

Trying to peer through the smoke and mirrors, I have to say that - at the moment - Voda are looking like the dodgy/evasive party here.

This is not rocket science. Both groups use BT Openreach systems. Transferring the landline number should be completely without issue.

If I discover - in 4 days - that I have been given a new number with no resolution, I will take this matter as far as I possibly can.

There is simply NO excuse for what should not even be a question! It SHOULD be AUTOMATIC.

Jayach

Do let us know how it goes @Shooby . Still got my fingers crossed for you.🤞 (It's sounding a little more positive now)

Pls let us know how you get on with keeping your existing landline number. Thanks.

I have a switch from TT to VF setup on 16 Sept 2022. I would love to know if your existing landline number is preserved. Good luck - this should be an absolute doddle. Absolutely no reason for not being able to keep your existing number. 

We have had our number over 40 years. If your number is not ported over, I will be cancelling my order immediately. Please update this post, thanks.

Hi.

Will do.

Did you apply online like I did? What happened when it came to the 'click here if you wish you retain your existing number' part came up - did you get a 'cannot do this because...' response?