cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upggrade to fibre broadband has caused loss of my landline phones and Vodafone does nothing to help

ojos
4: Newbie

I have had Vodafone broadband for several years. This included a contract for my landline phones which I have many around the house connected to phone sockets in different rooms. It was all working 100% fine until the fibre upgrade.

When I spoke to Vodafone support a few months ago about my interest in upgrading to fibre they said that, by default, landline phones would then needed to be connected directly to the router. I explained that my phone plugs around the house had been installed by BT and when I joined Vodafone broadband engineers it took them several days to check and re-cable my landline sockets to ensure they all continued to work. Vodafone said that yes, they were aware that some customers needed to continue to use all landline phone sockets. This could be solved by fitting an adaptor to the router. They said a note was made against my account to ensure this will happen upon my upgrade to fibre.

My broadband upgrade was booked for the end of May. A week before the upgrade I called Vodafone and reminded them of my need to continue use of my landline sockets. They did some checks and said, while by default, my home sockets would not continue to work, the engineers could install an upgrade with appropriate additional work and this would ensure the fix. They sent a note to Openreach to say that appropriate installation had to be done to ensure my landline sockets continued to work.

Upon arrival of Openreach on the upgrade day I spoke to the engineers who stated that the upgrade would be done to ensure my landline phones continued to work. When the engineers left, the fibre was not yet working although all my landline sockets continued to work satisfactorily. It took about 24 hours for the fibre broadband to start working, but conversely my landline then totally ceased to work. I contacted Vodafone who assured me it could take a further couple of days for my landline to be fully initialised. However, it's now been about a fortnight and I've lost my landline for which I am paying Vodafone. Vodafone has come up with all kinds of dubious excuses but the bottom line is "tough luck, to use your landline you have to plug a phone directly into the router". They've shown not the slightest interest in explaining why they promised the necessary work would be done for my phone sockets to continue working. I've raised formal complaints but Vodafone just continue to sit on their backsides and do nothing. I'm now stuck paying for a landline which has just a single phone plugged into it which is pretty much useless to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jayach wrote:

@ojos wrote:

Call bull on Vodafone who were no help at all in getting the matter fixed. The tech team told me to get an ATA which they would provide upon the upgrade to fibre. 

They did, it's inside the THG3000 router.

Vodafone tech team a year ago clearly stated to me that I needed a separate (external) ATA which would have to be ordered,  delivered to me and installed by an engineer

I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by installing and configuring the necessary additions. My landline phones now work perfectly with the fibre broadband. Vodafone has compensated me for the cost of the fix by the engineer. Therefore I would like to close this discussion as the matter has been resolved

View solution in original position

70 REPLIES 70

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Typical troll, just constantly repeats the same things, without any further information or explanations.

Oh well, I don't really think there was anything new to be learnt.

@Jayach wrote:

Typical troll, just constantly repeats the same things, without any further information or explanations.

I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by installing and configuring the necessary additions. My landline phones now work perfectly with the fibre broadband. Vodafone has compensated me for the cost of the fix by the engineer. Therefore I would like to close this discussion as the matter has been resolved.

Discussion closed.

@Jayach wrote:

Your post is inappropriate. I am not a telephone engineer and have given you all the relevant information regarding Vodafone tech support telling me an ATA needed to be fitted and my local engineer did this and sorted the problem.

Discussion closed

Jayach

And, just why couldn't @ojos say it's connected to the LAN or TEL socket, how hard would that be???

@Jayach wrote:

And, just why couldn't @ojos say it's connected to the LAN or TEL socket, how hard would that be???

I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by installing and configuring the necessary additions. My landline phones now work perfectly with the fibre broadband. Vodafone has compensated me for the cost of the fix by the engineer. Therefore I would like to close this discussion as the matter has been resolved.

Discussion closed.

Cynric

@Jayach 

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic/personal information/inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

Shame really because even after more than 40 years in I.T. related fields I still like to learn something new.

@Cynric wrote:

@Jayach  I don't think that the OP wants to be part of the forum in a meaningful way. Shame really because even after more than 40 years in I.T. related fields I still like to learn something new.

Discussion closed.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

@Jayach  I don't think that the OP wants to be part of the forum in a meaningful way. Shame really because even after more than 40 years in I.T. related fields I still like to learn something new.

I rather wonder why they started the thread at all, they have totally ignored our advice, and told us we are wrong.

However, if you look at their previous threads, they have had this obsession with how the telephones work with full fibre for ages.

Vodafone not interested in helping customers using... - Community home

@ojos wrote:
 Openreach told me the new Master Socket would be compatible with full fibre when that became available in my area. 

Openreach wouldn't say that, they are totally different technologies.

Ripshod

"I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by seting up VRI  from the TEL Port on the router."

Corrected for you. I know that if I was telling the truth but not being believed I'd have just given up by now. 

I'm out of treats now so I'm not going to feed this troll now. I suggest everyone else does the same.

This troll reminds me greatly of another we had a while ago. Maybe they've come back. 

Cynric

One last biscuit for @ojos , discussion threats just fade away into the either but never close 😄