Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Your home phone and broadband is changing

THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

Since Jan 11th VF has been sending me e-mails about the "A change is coming to your home phone service"

We’re switching your home phone service from the old copper network to a new broadband-based service called Digital Voice.

We’ll be in touch within a few weeks to let you know when we plan to make this change. When we place the order to upgrade you to digital voice, you will receive a message thanking you for your order. Please don’t worry, this is part of the change we are making.

If you rely on your home phone for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call, please contact us on 0333 3040 191 from any UK landline (standard charges apply).
Why we're doing this
Openreach are turning off the old copper phone network across the whole of the UK by 2025, and we’re making this change now to ensure your service isn’t disrupted.
What it means

Vodafone Digital Voice uses your broadband connection to make and receive calls instead of using the old telephone network. This offers you higher call quality.

Some important things to note

There are a few things you need to know about how your home phone service will be affected:

In the unlikely event of a power cut or fibre network outage, you won’t be able to make or receive calls, including to emergency services.
Devices connected to your phone line, such as an alarm linked to a control centre or telecare device will be impacted. You should contact the manufacturer to check the compatibility with the new phone service.
Voicemail will not be supported with the new broadband-based phone service, so please make sure important messages are stored and saved appropriately. You may wish to buy a new DECT phone with built-in voicemail capabilities.
Once your switch is complete, the only phone that will work is the one plugged into your router, and no other hardwired phones will work. If you’re using multiple handsets connected via an extension socket, you may need to purchase a phone that is compatible with a broadband-based phone service, also known as a DECT phone.We’ll be sending you some more information soon.

We’ll be sending you some more information soon.
To find out more about your options, call us on 0333 3040 191 We're here 7 days a week, from 8am-8pm

Anyone has already gone through this?

a] Is it done in batches?

b] Does it meant  that other people in my area (on VF or BT) will also be at the time converted to DV?

Vodafone Digital Voice offering is quite restrictive as well ......well it's 2024 .........what can one expect from major ISP and telco provider ..... .......

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Broadband/Pro-Broadband/1751006322/What-is-Digital-Voice.htm

Digital Voice doesn't work with Vodafone voicemail, conference calls, call diversion, or call management features (like anonymous caller rejection).

This is a joke ........

Does it meant the FREE SMS (no billing set up by VF) that I was able to use/send from my landline will stop working after the switch? :Winking_smiley:

1 REPLY 1

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I'm still on the PSTN, and I haven't had one. However I do live in a (currently) FTTC only area.

@THG3000-IPv6 wrote:
Does it meant the FREE SMS (no billing set up by VF) that I was able to use/send from my landline will stop working after the switch? 

I've not heard of that service. I had similar when when I was on O2 broadband and it was very useful.

As the number will still be with Vodafone, I can't see why it wouldn't continue to work. However, this is Vodafone we are talking about.