Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure when using Netflix Apple TV

SureshK
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I have only had my Vodafone 5G GigaCube for 4 weeks -- and I have had problems with streaming from Netflix on the Apple TV device.  This problem doesn't appear on any other device or any other app or website.  This problems is specifically restricted to the 5G GigaCube when using Apple TV to stream from Netflix.

My friend who is on the O2 network -- created a wifi hotspot on her mobile phone -- and when I connected my Apple TV to her wifi hotspot then Netflix streaming would work on the Apple TV.  When I reverted back to my GigaCube 5G it stopped working.  So this is 100% a problem with the 5G network.

There are many people who have posted similar problems -- but there has been no serious attempt to resolve this issue.  This is quite a serious matter -- as its reason for me to throw the Router in the bin.

The same issue has been posted several times here:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Netflix-errors-on-Apple-TV-when-using-R219h-and-Vod...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Archive/Netflix-Error-139-NFErr-MC-AuthFailure-unable-to-access-Netf...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Archive/Netflix-139-error-on-Apple-TV/m-p/2576639

Other forum members (1st link) are speculating that it appears to be a problem with Vodafone blocking some specific certificate servers used by Netflix (which are specific to Apple TV devices).

No amount of switching off the device, removing the plug, switching off the router, restarting the router, plugging the AppleTV back and reconnecting to the 5G network is going to work.  So please don't give me bs answers.  The fact I could get it working on a different network means I expect Vodafone to address this problem directly with Apple.

I will not allow this issue to go until Vodafone acknowledges this is a problem with their network and I will be raising a customer complaint unless a resolution is found.

If others have similar problems -- please add a reply here so we don't let this problem get closed without a resolution.

24 REPLIES 24

adele8207
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just moved to mobile broadband and have the same issue. 

Apple TV 2 - 139 auth error on Netflix. I have reset the Apple TV box uninstalled and re-installed app, re booted, signed in and out and still an issue. 

Looking on this forum it seems that it's an issue between Apple TV and Vodafone mobile broadband. Shame as I was loving the new mobile broadband in place of my old landline which was slow.

Hi @adele8207, this is something that we can take a look at on our Social Media channels. You can contact us on Twitter, Facebook or Live Chat. All the contact details can be found here.

I'm sorry you are having this problem but at least I know I'm not going mad! I have exactly the same problem. Not just on my gigacube, also when I use this sim in my other sim card routers. Anyone had any success?  

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Geee88, if you haven't already please drop our Social Media a message through the link we've provided in the thread. We'll then be able to get this sorted for you - if you pop your Community username and link to your thread in your message, you won't need to repeat your query again. 

Yep, exact same issue here. Netflix on Apple TV (Gen 3) has the 139 error. My kids use this Apple TV in a different room and it hasn't worked since we got the 5G Gigacube.

Netflix works on every other device in the house, including an Apple TV (Gen 4).

My theory is that the version of Netflix on the Apple TV 3 uses a slightly different auth mechanism, one which uses a server that does not play nice with Vodafone somewhere down the line.

Either way, this is 100% a Vodafone issue! Please fix.

Hi @rmcc, our Facebook or Twitter team will be able to help with getting this sorted. If you send us a message and include your Community username, the team will get on it. You can find the contact details here

@MarkD - I will do that. But I hope its not an automated response which ends up sending me back to here.

FYI - here's what I'll be telling them:

I am getting the '139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure' error on the Netflix app running Apple TV (Gen 3). This started to happen when I got the 5G Gigacube.

The reason I am 100% certain this is the fault of Vodafone is:

1. My other Apple TV (Gen 4) has Netflix and it works fine. All other devices I have in my house (all running on 5G Gigacube's connection) has Netflix working fine.
  2. The problem only started when I got the Vodafone 5G Gigacube.
  3. When I connect the Apple TV (Gen 3) to other internet connections it works fine. (I have tried both NowTV landline ADSL, and Giffgaff 4G mobile connection).

I suspect the older Netflix app running on the Apple TV (Gen 3) uses a different server or something, which is not playing nice with Vodafone's network.

I have tried restarting device, restoring device, unplugging device for over 2 minutes, turning off entire network, etc. etc. but nothing works.

Hello -  has there been a fix for this issue yet?  I have all the same equipment and am having the same issue.  Please help!

Nope, no fix yet!

I'm not getting in contact with the Facebook or Twitter team, because they have more than enough information from this thread to determine the issue. I'm not wasting any more of my time going in circles with their support team.

Highly frustrating.

Thanks for the reply (funnily enough, before Vodafone support even).

Really unbelievable.  Looking forward to cancelling my Gigacube subscription come March when my lockup expires.