Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Netflix errors on Apple TV when using R219h and Vodafone

thezerocool
2: Seeker

This setup works fine on the Virgin Mobile hotspot, and Virgin Mobile in a ZTE Mifi, but since moving to Vodafone R219h and the Max mobile broadband package I'm getting consistent errors each time I hit play.

It seems from my research that Vodafone are blocking some sort of certificate server for Netflix on the Apple TV, the Apple TV isn't getting an exact time sync with Netflix so the certificate key is wrong and I'm getting error: Error 139 NFErr_MC_AuthFailure.  This server is specific to Apple TV certificates.  It seems this has been a historical error documented for about the last 4 years but Vodafone have dodged the issue with other customers.

Further to this to prove its likely an network block/error it has been documented with other networks such as Virgin Mobile which had to go through some steps to resolve it for all users:  community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Netflix-Issue/td-p/4116205/page/1

To clarify, using other services immediately resolves the issue, changing the R219h for another Mifi device using the Vodafone SIM replicates the error, so its obviously the Vodafone service that is the common denominator here.  All software updates have been applied to my Apple TV and R219h.

Interested to know if anybody else has got around this, or know the right people to speak to at Vodafone?

9 REPLIES 9

thezerocool

after speaking to live chat I was given the email for content classification to get in touch with.  Updates to follow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @thezerocool This is very odd! Have you heard back from the Content Classification team now? I'd be interested to hear what they've said!

Not yet, there are two netflix domains that cannot be pinged so it seems likely there is network block.  

With Virgin Media having the same issues as well it seems fair to say its not something I can fix at my end.

donatasgricius

I found solution by setting up the TIMEZONE on the Apple TV to AUTOMATIC, this fixed the issue

johannes
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Still facing the same issue in 2022. You are facing netflix errors but I have been in trouble upon using few apps on Vodafone. Hope so it will be solved soon.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @johannes - Have you tried the above steps to see if this resolves your issue?

Could you provide us with screenshots of the error message you're getting please?

Lemme check Evie

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Okay @johannes - I'll be here when you get back to me 😊

It typically points to a network connectivity issue that is preventing your device from reaching the Netflix service. Follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

Test your internet connection
Restart your device
Update the firmware on your Apple TV
Restart your home network
Improve your Wi-Fi signal
Restore your default connection settings
Contact your internet service provider

Regards,

Rachel Gomez