Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G Signal on Gigacube

dasnilpferd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there

We have a Gigacube in our house, and were confidently informed when we bought it that it would have 5G access by October.

For the last few weeks we have had little or no signal at all, and the coverage map showed several masts under maintenance in our area. I contacted Vodafone twice through phone and live chat and spoke to several people each time. I received conflicting answers about why the masts were down, and no clear answer on whether this was because they were being upgraded to 5G or if not when that might happen. 

The last person I spoke to was a manager in the technical team who said we would have to wait for the repairs/upgrades (still not sure which) to finish before seeing if 5G could be received. 

The masts are all apparently now working. And my average speeds have ticked up a bit from about 20/5 (down/up) to around 40/10. But these are not 5G speeds, although the green light is on the router.

But the interesting thing is that the official coverage map now only shows 2 and 3G coverage in my area. And this is after me refreshing it quite a few times on different days.

So now I am *really* confused. Can someone please explain what's going on to me? 🤔

3 REPLIES 3

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @dasnilpferd - We want you to be able to have a stable connection, especially at a time like this.

We'd need to check over the network is your area, could you confirm the following for me please?

1) Do you have any mobile devices on Vodafone that are experiencing signal issues?

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? (feel free to put this in your forum profile instead so it's not public)

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different device?

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

6) When did you first notice this issue?

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Yes we do have one Vodafone mobile which has had signal issues. We've at times had to talk to your customer services from the garden to get signal

Postcode is in my profile

I have no other Gigacube to try the SIM in - but it's definitely not a router issue

The only error is low or no signal. It's a 4G and 5G router

Issue has been ongoing for weeks - please read original post as all details are in there.

Issue is intermittent

Thanks for getting back to me but I did say the issues do relate to a current problem with the masts in the area. So I really just want to know whether I will get the 5G service I'm paying for and was told we would get in October. 

Postscript to my original post - one of the masts is now down again until tomorrow after we'd been told it was repaired. So very slow DL speeds at times today

Just to reiterate, my main focus is finding out why these masts seem to be under maintenance all the time at the moment. If this is for the task of finally delivering 5G to the area, I'm broadly cool with that. But nobody has given me any kind of answer this, or an accurate timescale on how long it's all going to take

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming those details @dasnilpferd and adding your postcode. I've taken a closer look into this for you and the mast serving you (76309) is working as expected and has experienced no outages since work was completed on this on 19 November. I can see we only offer a limited 5G service in your area at this time, this can affect the service you receive. This may improve once the maintenance being undertaken on the other masts in your areas completes. I've looked into some of the jobs raised on the other masts surrounding you and it appears our completions times are being affected by the governments current restrictions. As these ease, I'm sure we'll get back on course with this. Apologies for any inconvenience this delay is causing.

So we can be sure this issue isn't being affected by your issues aren't being caused by a fault with your router or SIM, please pop this into any mobile device and let us know if it connects and what speed you're receiving. This can be a phone, if you don't have another mobile router, you'll still receive a data connection and there is no difference in the network.