Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone else having this issue with K5160 & K5161z

rjb73
4: Newbie

Hi guys,

I had a K5160 but couldnt get the thing to stop downloading continuously even before i connected in the connection manager so i sold it & purchased a K5161z and this one is even worse because this one doesnt even allow me to connect on the vodafone connection manager, windows connects automatically and when i check the status in network and connection sharing this new K5161z also keeps downloading non stop,i even reinstalled windows 7 64-bit sp1 but no different, i updated the connection manager software but still no where to connect as the page is blank in the information tab?

Iam now using the same sim card on the same machine and this old 3g 21 mbps dongle doesnt download anything in the background,these 2 dongles have used over a gig downloading god knows what?

Id love find out why they were doing that, sometimes i get a box that appears saying Stack overflow at line: 0 on the page where i should be able to connect.

The K5160 was a huawei and the newer K5161z is a ZTE usb modem so i was suprised they both did the same thing?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If your SIM is connecting without a problem using a different modem, it appears to be working correctly and the issue you were experiencing was related to the modems. As for using data before you were connecting, is it possible they were updating and installing new software in the background? If they were set to automatically download any updates, this would explaining the usage of data you weren't aware of.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, yes the sim is fine,in the connection manager of both modems the update feature was turned off/disconnected. (its not that)

Ive managed to get the K5161z to stop downloading, i disabled the 2 start up items that show up in the processes tab (they no longer start) 

The K5161z vodafone connection manager is still not showing anywhere to connect on the information page and windows is still automatically starting the modem but at least its not downloading 100s of MB of data.

I also unticked all the boxes except the ipv4 & ipv6 in the properties tab in status.

Out of the 2 modems this K5161z hit a speed of 18+mbps where as the K5160 only hit 6+mbps when i tested them but as the K5160 had the 2 external antenna id prefer that one.

At least i could connect using the connection manager with the K5160 aswell.

Someone said it was probably the fact that they were downloading updates or the modems were themselves updating.

This is incorrect,that is not what they were doing at all.

When the K series modems update,they alert you not to turn the modem off etc,also you have to say yes to the update!

I solved the problem with the ZTE K5161z,id already resold the K5160 even though out of the 2 id prefer the Huawei K5160.

I disabled the 2 processes Cancelautoplay.exe & CheckNDISport58.exe from starting & also unticked all the boxes in properties under status except the ipv4 & ipv6.

Im still unable to connect using the vodafone connection manager as the information screen is blank,i also cannot see how much of a signal i have as it doesn`t say,also i cannot change the simcard settings when i click on manual,  but windows autmatically connects the modem so i can use it the same as before but its no longer downloading 100s of MB of data.

I had the issues with both K series modems using win 7 32 & 64-bit,i spent days trying figure it out or at least get it to stop downloading.

This K5161z hit 18+mbps when i tested it just,the K5160 got 6+mbps when i tested that one.