Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cancelled DONGLE contract still picking up direct debits

frustrated22
4: Newbie

Summary:

-I took out a contract for a 4G dongle at a shop in Kingston KT3 back in October 2018

-I tried the dongle at home, but did not get a good signal

-therefore, Within a few days I returned to the shop and returned all the equipment (still October 2018)

-a few months later, i noticed that Direct debits were still being taken from my account, so I went back to the store, -spoke to the manager, and he said "yep, don't worry about it, you should get money back"

- I recently (Fenraury 2021 - yes 29 months later. I have 1000's of line items on my bank account) noticed (due to end of year accounting) that the DDs were still being taken by VF for a dongle that I returned back to the shop

- I rang the Vodafone chat, and did not pass security questions. They asked for the number, and repeated stated that I do not have a number

- i was given a website https://www.vodafone.co.uk/securityreset - but again it asked for my VF number, and I do not have one, because I returned my equipment , so i find myself in a catch-22 situation.

- i went onto chat again with VF. I asked them to check to see (and confirm) that there has been ZERO data uploaded/downloaded ever - but they can't do that becuase i need to verify my account. 

- I went round and round

-i have tried to cancel my DD with VF, but i need to verify my VF number - but I do not have a number, because I cancelled my contract within a few days of taking it out. so I have been going round and round with this

- today, I notified my bank that I want them to cancel my direct debits, and also request all DDs to be paid back. My bank have supported me. 

- Its only a few hundred pounds over 29 months, but I do not need any hassles with credit companies.

- VF could probably prove/ or show that no data has ever upload/downloaded in 29 months, but  how can i prove that I returned all my equipment back to the shop? I spoke to the manager in good faith?

thank you

Frustrated22

21 REPLIES 21

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The Vodafone manager should have given you some documentation that the equipment had been returned and that the contract was cancelled within the relevant Cooling Off Period of the time.

The bank will help under the direct debit guarantee but obviously the contract needs ending.

The Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can help via Facebook or Twitter.

Vodafone and how to cancel-your-account. ( Stac and Pac Information enclosed. ) 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your reply.

(1) the online chat did not work out so well for me. I was unable to pass the security question. I clearly answered questions about (a) my name, (b)address (c) dob, (d) amount of last direct debit.

However I was then asked "What was the last channel you used to communicate with us?" I did not know. "Shop? Chat? Phone call?" then the computer said "NO!".

Then i was asked for my VF phone number, and I tried to explain that I do not have one, because i had returned the dongle over 2 years ago. They said they could not verify me, and gave me a reset link. Again - it needed my VF number ( please go to step 1 ad infinitum....)

So I am paying for a service that I do not have, and I cannot seem to cancel it today either - even though i have already done that 2 years ago.

Please help Obi-Wan, you are our last hope

You're very welcome for my reply @frustrated22 

I'm sure you'll understand that Vodafone have to verify you are the account holder to pass Security Protocols in order to access your account and discuss what needs to be done. This is all in place to protect you, your account and Vodafone.

Give the Vodafone Social Media Team's a try.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your reply. I understand your point about account security

y

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

I'm sure you'll understand that Vodafone have to verify you are the account holder to pass Security Protocols in order to access your account and discuss what needs to be done. This is all in place to protect you, your account and Vodafone.

however... as I mentioned before:

(1) I have proved my identity, address, DOB, date of last bill, my bank details, etc

(2) what I failed on was:

(2a) "What was the last channel you used to communicate with us?" - Shop/Chat/Phone - i cannot remember , and I have tried all 3

(2b) what is your VF mobile number.  (I don't have a VF mobile number as I returned my equipment)

I cannot even  cancel the very contract I am being charged for. hence I am left with no option, but to ask my bank to step in, and force a cancellation

please advise 

Frustrated22

frustrated22_0-1614767091876.png

Finally, I managed to logon with my own credentials. ie my email, my password, and my personal mobile number (with EE), and guess what? I do not have an active plan..... so why are VF still taking my direct debits? and are convinced that I have a contract?

"You have no active plans with this account. 

You can still view your bill archive."

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

So, I followed your advice and contracted the social media team. The response was....

Hi J******. Over a third party Social Media platform, we're unable to service Cancellation queries. My colleagues are ready to help! You’ve a couple of options to get in touch: - Call 08080 408 408 (8am-8pm, 7 days a week) - Contact a different agent on Live Chat 24/7 here: http://vodafone.uk/2aDQ1gh - Call 191 free from a Vodafone Mobile Mac

So, I went back to the chat - and guess what happened? I failed the security questions because (1) I could not provide a vodafone mobile phone number .

Interestingly, i was sent a "'reset link' again. But ofcourse, I cannot proceed, because one of the questions is: "What is your vodafone mobile number?"  but I do not have one!

Has anyone read the book 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller?

what options are left to me? Do I continue to pay for a contract that I had cancelled? Do I ask the ombudsmna to step in?

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Dear sir & @BandOfBrothers , i did what you suggested above - and contacted vodafone via twitter. and this was their response. I went to the website mentioned and again I cannot enter without a VF mobile, or an account. What can I do next?

Hi J****. Over a third party Social Media platform, we're unable to service Cancellation queries. My colleagues are ready to help! You’ve a couple of options to get in touch: - Call 08080 408 408 (8am-8pm, 7 days a week) - Contact a different agent on Live Chat 24/7 here: http://vodafone.uk/2aDQ1gh - Call 191 free from a Vodafone Mobile Mac

Strange - someone in your VF side is deleting my messages on this board. OK try number 3......I have tried the twitter account. They gave me a VF phone number which I called 4 times. It asked for my mobile number,. The automated computer asked "say in a few words what you want?" .

I tried phrases like:

• "I would like to cancel my account"
  • "I would like to speak to someone about my account"
  • "Direct debits" -- which replied "you want to set up a direct debit, ok....."

and it had hung up me 4 times now

Twitter social team response is

Thank you for getting in touch with us in regards to this J***, unfortunately as my colleague above mentioned, we're not actually able to process any Cancellations here over Social media as we don't have the tools to be able to do this

But we can certainly help point you in the right direction

If it is that you currently have a contract with us, you'd need to speak with our dedicated Cancellations Team by calling their direct line at

03333 040 191 or by contacting them again via webchat at

a webchat link (removed) where you'd be able to give them your account number which they can accept rather than your mobile number. You can also manage your services through your online account or My Vodafone app if you do have access to this, if you need a further hand with anything please let us know and we can help advise further, but I'd say the best way to get in touch with the team is by calling the number above

Keely

will this message remain on the forum board?