Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot access any ports from external

lyingewe
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've just moved over to Vodafone after the ongoing poor service with Three and now my kids can't share their Minecraft servers as the ports appear to be blocked.  I'm using a Huawei B315s router on which the port configuration is the same as before.  Not sure if Vodafone is indeed blocking the ports, or there's another issue.

I've tried canyouseeme.org and its saying all ports are blocked.  I don't want to change the router if I can't prove that its not on the Vodafone end.

Any suggestions appreciated

6 REPLIES 6

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@lyingewe As you're using a third party router, you'd need to speak with the manufacturer directly so that they can help - we'd be unable to advise on how to change the settings to allow access.

So can you guarantee if I use a Vodafone router then I will be able to configure INBOUND access?  The forums seem to imply that it is impossible regardless of router to enable inbound access.  Like I said, this all worked perfecting with Three on the same modem.  What I am attempting to do is allow external users to access a Minecraft server.  All relevant ports are open and worked before switching over to the Vodafone service.

I can guarantee a change of router will not help at all - on its own. The issue is not the router, it is that Vodafone uses CGNAT and your router WAN is given a private IP address that is sharred by multiple users. Your only solution is to use a tunnel service over the top such as Andrews and Arnolds L2TP service. 

Thanks, thats pretty much what I'd gathered from other posts but wanted to be sure.  Fed up with the stock response of 'use our hardware and all will be well'.  I've got the A&A service running and its going well so far.

Posts overlapped. Good that you have a working solution. I have found A&A to be very reliable. I am frustrated as well that the same miss-information keeps being repeated on this forum. It is not very constructive. Depending on your level of usage - you might be able to split-tunnel. Basically only route certain traffic over the A&A service. I do this as the A&A service is 1TB limit. Split tunneling can either be easy or difficult to set up depending on what hardware / software you are using.

If you want to test for yourself you should be able to see what WAN IP address your router is given - on my Huewei router it is on the device informatin page. You will see that it is a private IP - probably somethig like 10.xxx.xxx.xx. If you go to a website such as whatsmyip.com tou will see the IP address the outside world sees. The two addresses will be different. Anybody suggesting a different router will solve this is mistaken.