Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Continuing issues with Gigacube

pcroxford
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am having ongoing issues with my 5G Gigacube.  Main symptoms are:

• Long delay in connecting to websites - ‘resolving host’ message for a minute or so before it finally connects
  • Likewise for Zoom calls - I typically need to switch to my (super slow) fixed line broadband to kick-off a call and switch to the Gigaclear once connected to benefit from the better speed
  • Unable to connect to websites, Slack and other tools whilst connected to a Zoom call - really annoying 
  • Can’t use my mesh network with Gigacube - if I try, speed drops to below 1mbps

None of these issues occur when I hub off my iPhone, plus speed is better when hubbing - so this is not an issue with network coverage, nor is it WiFi related as Gigacube is <1m away from my Mac.

Any help appreciated - before I give up and send it back to Vodafone!

64 REPLIES 64

hollow88
4: Newbie

Exactly the same issue! Any help is greatly apprecaited.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, If you don't believe this to be a network issue @pcroxford, it could be connected to your SIM or Gigacube. So we can investigate this further, please confirm 👉

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM in a different device/phone?

- What errors are seen when the issue occurs?

- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? 

Once we've got this information, we'll be able to take a closer look into this.

As we need to check if your issue is network related @hollow88 please pop us your full postcode and we'll be happy to look into this for you. If you'd prefer to provide this privately, pop us a message though our social channels, or add this to your personal details here and only you and our moderatos will be able to view it 😊

Hi Mark

its not a network error as far as I’m aware - your status checker shows we have full signal across all all networks (around SW11 3NA).

I constantly see the ‘this site can’t be reached’ or the loading symbol on website pages. Slack will just constantly cut out throughout the day and we also get massive speed reductions during the day.

can’t check on 4g WiFi as we can’t switch to 4g on the Huawei router... but 4g on my iPhone never has this issue.

one of my neighbours recently purchased the same deal and has had no issues. What can be done to help?

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @hollow88, I can appreciate how frustrating this must to not have a stable connection, so we want to get this sorted as soon as possible.

I can see that there is currently work being done in your area, this will be effecting your service. I do apologise for the inconvenience. To check this yourself just follow this link 👉 https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker and enter your postcode.
You can also set yourself up for alerts via email/text for when the work should be complete.

• As you have said that your phones network isn't being effected and your neighbors signal is fine, there could more to it then the network maintenance.

Are any lights showing on the Gigacube? If so, what lights and are they flashing in any sequence?

Hi Evie,

there is no maintenance being done in my area according to your NSC...

all lights on the gigacube are green and we have been using the internet today. No flashing, just solid green

I'm also having exactly the same problem.

• Websites taking forever to load, or giving up and resulting in errors
  • Can't do more than one thing at once - eg. when on a teams call my slack gives up, can't listen to music/radio and load anything.
  • If I do finally connect to a teams/zoom call I then have to choose between sharing my audio or visual. I often have to share my screen and explain things - impossible at the moment.

I have tried all the ludicrous solutions that you've suggested over the phone - turning off/on, removing sim card and waiting, updating my address (as apparently the details you hold decide on what mast it connects to?), moving the router to a better area, even purchasing a NEW router for a whopping £130 (despite the "old" one only being 5 months old)... the list goes on.

Just to cover questions that you'll likely ask:

• My router currently shows all solid green lights.
  • I also do not have (nor have ever seen) any work going on in my local area - your network status checker says that everything is fine and dandy, although it simply just is not.

As a key worker currently working from home trying to provide a service for the NHS, this is really debilitating, really frustrating, and simply just not good enough!

Hi there

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM in a different device/phone?  I tried my Gigacube SIM in my iPhone and my iPhone SIM in my Gigacube and, after some power-cycling, they both seemed to work fine - however back to same issues today. 

- What errors are seen when the issue occurs?  Slack message just continually says 'trying to connect' whenever I am on a Zoom call.  Same issues as @Hollow88 regarding page loading, just get the 'resolving host' bottom left and then, eventually,

"This site can’t be reached

medallia.my.salesforce.com’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG"

- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? Not tried 2G or 3G - wouldn't know how to do that as only 4G and 5G lights on Gigacube.  Checked network status and it is 'Good' for 4G, no 5G coverage at my home.  I can see the mast from my office window!

Both 4G and wifi lights are green and on constant.  My iMac is right next to the Gigacube.  The software on Gigacube is up-to-date as at today, 

Super-frustrating - I have had to retain my (5.8MB) Vodafone fixed line broadband (£23 per month) as I cannot rely on the Gigacube (£50 per month).  I often have to switch to my fixed line broadband to start a Zoom call and then switch back to the Gigacube when it has connected as fixed line bandwidth is not good enough for video calls!  I probably have to do this 8 to 10 times a day!

Based on this, it would appear to be a Gigacube software issue that means it works OK immediately after it is restarted, but then begins to show issues after a short period of time.  Clearly not an issue unique to me either given @Lydiateebay and @Hollow88's issues.

Please could you help find a fix as, like many people, I am on Zoom calls for most of my life and this is driving me crazy!

Any update on this...?

@pcroxford, have you checked the Network Service Checker on our website to see if there anything that is going on in the area? You can do this by entering your postcode here

With your fix line service getting 5.8mbps download speeds, is this above the minimum speeds that was quoted at the point of sale? 

@hollow88, can you help with us the following details please: 

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM in a different device/phone?
- What errors are seen when the issue occurs?
- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

@Lydiateebay, have you also done any checks on our Network Status Checker here? Since you've changed your router to a third party one, have you noticed any difference?