Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Continuing issues with Gigacube

pcroxford
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am having ongoing issues with my 5G Gigacube.  Main symptoms are:

• Long delay in connecting to websites - ‘resolving host’ message for a minute or so before it finally connects
  • Likewise for Zoom calls - I typically need to switch to my (super slow) fixed line broadband to kick-off a call and switch to the Gigaclear once connected to benefit from the better speed
  • Unable to connect to websites, Slack and other tools whilst connected to a Zoom call - really annoying 
  • Can’t use my mesh network with Gigacube - if I try, speed drops to below 1mbps

None of these issues occur when I hub off my iPhone, plus speed is better when hubbing - so this is not an issue with network coverage, nor is it WiFi related as Gigacube is <1m away from my Mac.

Any help appreciated - before I give up and send it back to Vodafone!

64 REPLIES 64

Hello

- have you also done any checks on our Network Status Checker hereYes, I have checked, and it always says "Good indoors & outdoors"

- Since you've changed your router to a third party one, have you noticed any difference? I have not changed my router to a third party one, I have changed it to one that you (Vodafone) made us purchase as apparently the previous one was "out of date". This has not made any difference, if anything it has made it worse.

Shocked that it has taken 2 weeks for you to ask such simple questions! What is going on?!?!?! Is this being looked into at all? These questions seem ludicrous to bring up now, given what I have already told you.

Please could you advise what you are doing to rectify this problem.

You’ve asked exactly the same questions that were listed in this thread earlier...

Have you checked the Network Service Checker on our website to see if there anything that is going on in the area? You can do this by entering your postcode here. YES, there are NO service issues - as I said when asked earlier in this thread!

With your fix line service getting 5.8mbps download speeds, is this above the minimum speeds that was quoted at the point of sale? The issue is not with my fixed line broadband - the issue is that I still have to keep my fixed line broadband whilst paying £50 a month for Gigacube! (Although I don't understand why I was getting 15Mbps with BT Broadband through precisely the same infrastructure!)

Would be great to get a fix to the issue rather than being asked the same questions over again!

OK, so I have now given-up on the Gigacube - I have put the SIM from the Gigacube in my old iPhone 8 and everything is working fine. Connects to websites and Zoom calls pretty much instantly, I can use Slack and access web content whilst on a Zoom call...all of the things that you would expect from a broadband connection.

Clearly the issue is with the Gigacube...but from other responses on this trail, I suspect that it is not MY Gigacube that is the issue, it is Gigacubes in general.

This still leaves the issue that I cannot use the broadband outside the range of my iPhone 8 - the idea was that I could plug my mesh network into the Gigacube to achieve the same 'whole house' coverage as I did with my (unusably slow) fixed line broadband.  I obviously can't do that with my iPhone, so still looking for Vodafone to find a fix for the Gigacube as I am NOT getting the service that I pay for!

I too have followed @pcroxford's lead and have taken the sim out of my gigacube, placed it into my Google Pixel 2 and am using that as a wifi hotspot. I can finally use the internet like one would expect - currently typing this out whilst on a Teams call and using Slack! :Socked_Face: 

I would agree - this then feels like a problem with the Gigacube. My second Gigacube - both of which I've paid for through Vodafone. Why are we paying for a service we simply are not getting?! 

I have a callback scheduled with Vodafone, will revert back if I get anywhere with them.

Thanks for continuing to pursue this Lydiateebay - I wonder what we need to do to get someone from Vodafone to respond?

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all! Thank you for your ongoing patience with us and all the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far.

As you have said you have all tried your SIM in a mobile device and it works fine, it doesn't seem to be a network issue. 

Can I just check the following as these can be major factors into connection of your Gigacube?

- How many devices do you have connected to the Gigacube at one time?

- Does the time of day make any difference to your connection? Is it worse/better at certain times of the day?

It may be worth contacting us through Social Media here 👍 Make sure to include a link to this thread and your username so you don't have to repeat yourselves!

Hi Evie

I currently have one device connected to my Gigacube (actually, I currently have zero devices as it doesn't work so using my iPhone)

It doesn't vary depending on time of day - although this is unlikely to have anything to do with the Gigacube and I think we have all agreed that the Gigacube is the issue!

I have also sent a message via FB messenger

Thanks, Phil.

Hi Evie,

Same here, number of devices does not seem to matter - sometimes we only have one device and it still does not work. No variance in the time of day. 

I've been using the sim card in my phone as a hotspot and it has been working fine. It seems to me that you've got a problem with the software in the gigacubes not working alongside devices using MacOS.

I have a HUAWEI B818 router with the same issue, and I believe the Gigacube is made by HUAWEI. My sim works fine in an iphone. I think you are spot on with there being a problem between the router and sim, or the instructions from Vodafone to the router. 
I am not technical, but I may have stumbled on something worth trying. There are several APN options on my router, and you can choose the default. I changed this to the one marked Vodafone Internet. 
it may be coincidence, but my internet has worked well all day. Perhaps someone more technical can tell if what I did could have any effect, or if the coincidental  calming down of the storm and the leaves falling is more likely to be the reason.