Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi and Mac Internet Sharing

spielo
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I'd like to initiate a mobile broadband connection from a Mac and then share it over Wi-Fi to other devices using the Mac's built-in "Internet Sharing" feature. I found this thread from 2013: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Archive/Mobile-Broadband-Dongle-Mac-Internet-Sharing/td-p/1478454

Does anyone know if the instructions provided in that word doc attachment still work for the current dongle (K5161)?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a Mobile Wi-Fi (R219) connection over USB instead of Wi-Fi and then share that connection through the Mac's Internet Sharing feature? (would prefer to avoid doing a Wi-Fi connection from the device to the Mac and then a second Wi-Fi connection).

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

spielo

Thinking about this a little more, I think the right solution is going to be a data SIM and a 3rd party 4G router. Much more straightforward!

Just to round this off, I ordered a Vodafone Data SIM (without any bundled hardware) and a Huawei B535 router separately. None of the hardware offerings from Vodafone quite met my needs in terms of price/functionality/performance. The Gigacube is too expensive, and the Dongle/Mobile Wi-Fi too limited.