main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Mobile Broadband

Is my phone sim restricted when put into a 4G router?

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I've recently signed up to a pay monthly contract with unlimited 5G data (I only have a 4G iPhone at the mo) but I'm moving to a house that has no phone line and wanted to see what I could get using a 4G mobile router as an alternative to fibre broadband.

I got hold of an unlocked Huawei AI cube (4G capable) and put my sim in and it on the routers application it's only showing as 3G and giving me poor download speeds (obviously)

Do vodafone restrict the use of phone SIMs in data only devices?

Thanks

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @scaseman 

There would be nothing stopping you from using the phone SIM in a mobile broadband device and you will still enjoy the same 4G reception as you had in the phone.  However, this is not a device supported by Vodafone.

If you are going to be depending on a mobile reception as an alternative to a fixed broadband connection, you have got to expect the occasional drop in reception and the speed will be slower than a fixed connection.

View more options
Highlighted

Really?

How is it not supported?

I thought unlocked 4G routers worked in a similar fashion to phones.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @AnnS

I've tried it in another device (an unlocked 4GEE Mini 2) and it's doing the same

View more options