Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No notification for excess data use and charges on mobile broadband

barryd999
4: Newbie

I work for a company that has no access to BT Broadband and we have to use a satellite / wifi connection which is hit and miss at times so we put in a Vodafone mobile broadband sim on monthly contract in a 4g Router as a backup.  In theory for most months it shouldnt be used at all.   We had some major outages with our satellite broadband and had to rely on the Vodafone mobile broadband for a short while.  Its a 15gb per month sim.  Just got the bill and we used 25gb for which the bill is a whopping £195 in excess charges.  We received no notifactions anywhere that we were near the limit and these charges are unjuistifable. 

As I understand it in the terms and conditions you must receive a notification if you go near or over your limit.  That has not happened.   I also picked up on this thread which suggests you report incidents like these to the ombudsman which is exactly what I intend to do if it is not resolved.  https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Additional-data-charges-DON-T-PAY-if-you-didn-t-get...

Its just the latest in a legacy of issues we have had with Vodafone.  When we signed up for the SIM there were hordenous problems obtaining it  We were supposed to also reveive a free mifi router which never arrived and a lady from Vodafone called me about two months ago to discuss our issues. We were on the phone for nearly an hour before she got cut off and she has never called back to this day.  I was told on my call today by vodafone that a manager would call me back within 20 mins.   Its been over an hour now and nothing.

I am hoping somebody from Vodafone will contact me in regards to this issue as I have drawn a blank with the support line.  The company I work for (This is not my personal account) has 12 mobiles with vodafone as well as this mobile broadband sim and I think its likely if this is not resolved we will look for another provider.

6 REPLIES 6

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@barryd999 Our Ts&Cs do state that if you have a data cap enabled, you'd be notified when you're nearing your allowance to see if you wanted to leave this on our remove it to continue using the data. As you've had additional charges, I'd assume you never had the data cap enabled and because of this, weren't notified. Although we do try to send notifications to customers about their usage, it isn't a contractual requirement. 

The charges are also highlighted in the Ts&Cs and therefore would be justifiable and you'd be liable for them as the data has been used. 

If you'd like us to look into this free MiFi router and where the status is up to, please get in touch using the link in my private message. If you're not the account holder, please fill out their details as we'll need to speak with them directly. 

Thankyou for your response Alex however how do you explain the case in the link I provided where the poster recieved no warnings of the excess data usage and through persistant complaints had the charges dropped?

As I understand it the huge charges for roaming for example that some people fell foul of for many years were eventually stopped by a £56 cap that is on by default.  This should be the case with your UK Mobile broadband sims.  I assumed they would be capped by default and that you would have to request for and pay for an additional data bundle.  Nobody explained to us that the SIM would just continue to use data unchecked and of course we received no notification of the limit being reached.  I would rather have something done about this current charge to be honest than the free mifi unit we were promised that failed to materialise.  I think it would show good faith for a loyal long term business client.  Moving forward we will make a decision to put a cap in place.  

I hope we can come to a satisfactory conclusion ASAP.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

As we'll need access to your account to look into the charges raised @barryd999, please get in touch using the link @Alex provided in his private message and we'll be in touch.

Ok Mark.

I think I have dont that just now using the code in the PM from Alex.

I have received no reply or any update since sending the PM three days ago to Alex. 

It would appear that my only route to resolving this is going to be the official complaints procedure route and to report this to the Ombudsman.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @barryd999 we've been really busy recently over our Social Media channels, have you now had a reply to your private message?