Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Payg On Apple Os X

euanross
Not applicable
I was excited to read about the PAYG mobile broadband which very much interests me.

However, very disappointed to read that Vodafone have not yet been able to get it working on Apple's OS X operating system.

Do you have any timescales for getting this working?
39 REPLIES 39

Kop1te
4: Newbie
let me get this straight;tuxmac is moaning about something he KNOWS won't work and yet he still buys it? This forum is getting out of hand - it used to be full of sane people.
There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.
Bertrand Russell British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

tuxmac
Not applicable
let me get this straight;tuxmac is moaning about something he KNOWS won't work and yet he still buys it? This forum is getting out of hand - it used to be full of sane people.

no it does work , but its a patched/workround so not the best solution , i picked the vodafone payg bb, for a few reasons , only full g3 coverage where i live (Wales), the credit isn't timed, and relatively cheap. and the dongle is Apple white too, lol (that last one is a joke)

I can assure you kop1te , I didn't do a victor and buy it just to have a moan.

tuxmac
Not applicable
You can top-up via your account online, or else via customer services, I believe.

thanks for that Neil ,

and thanks for the link to the GNU/Vine site, very interesting , i run an ubuntu distro, so food for thought there ...

just given me a thought , if i get any probs at top up time , i'll plug the dongle into ubantu and run it through Wine , trick it into thinking its talking to Bill gates and not tux , that should work, :)

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
There's not an incompatibility with Linux for the top-up engine, as far as I know, just something we haven't got round to implementing yet.

Hopefully coming soon, although no promises...
Neil

LeeJS
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi tuxmac,

It's great to see that you've now purchased one our TopUp and Go modems and have tried the workaround to get things working on your Mac.

On a side note I'm still looking into your original query and will update you as soon as I have more information.

In regard to Topping Up online I'm afraid you'll need to do this via a alternative connection as the workaround doesn't currently enable customers to Top Up online.

All the best.

Lee

eForum Team

tuxmac
Not applicable
Hi tuxmac,
In regard to Topping Up online I'm afraid you'll need to do this via a alternative connection as the workaround doesn't currently enable customers to Top Up online.

All the best.

Lee

eForum Team

hey Lee

so are you saying that there is no way to top up using a Mac , so i need a windows machine to do it? can credit be added on in the vodafone shop, if I take the dongle in ?

thanks tuxmac

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Tuxmac,

There are a few different ways to top this up including via a cash machine at the bank or via the Vodafone Retail Store.

If you wish to do this by the Store simply take your SIM to the Store and they will be able to assist you in doing this. :)

James
eForum Team

tuxmac
Not applicable
Hi Tuxmac,

There are a few different ways to top this up including via a cash machine at the bank or via the Vodafone Retail Store.

If you wish to do this by the Store simply take your SIM to the Store and they will be able to assist you in doing this. :)

James
eForum Team

yup James

been the vodafone store , they said they can incrament the credit on the stick as long as i take in the dongle/sim, so problem solved

am i right in thinking the bank, cash machine solution depends on having a vodafone account ?

think i might write a shell, my self , just change the NT environment to apple script or a unix like script , run it in rosetta , your developers must pretty well do the same , of course codes might be a problem lol just kidding

Neil_Brown
How odd- I thought that online top-up was possible...
Neil

tuxmac
Not applicable
How odd- I thought that online top-up was possible...

no , as far as i can see , we get good checksum at this stage because our PAYG dongles are pushed through the mac "contract" firmware reads that , but as and when the credit runs out , that pull down "exe" plane wont forward ,so were stuffed .. we have to find other avenues