Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R219 Data sim

nibzy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I've been using unlimited 4g data sim ( has 5g enabled) which i got from this deal;

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-broadband/pay-monthly-contracts/mobile-wifi/vodafone/r219-mobile-w...

What I've done is i have taken the sim out of the R219 put it in a Huawei 4g router for better/stable download speed. I've been wondering if i buy a 5g router and put the sim inside would i be able to use this like 5g broadband and not breach any rules or contract? because usually for unlimited 5g broadband you have to pay 60 pound a month and right now I'm paying £17 which will later rise to £33. I'm just confused between hotspot and broadband/router and if can use it in a 5g router, what would be the difference between my sim in my own 5g router  and the 5g broadband (60 pound a month, with their router) offered by Vodaphone and why it costs so much more for practically the same thing.

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

5G is better for downloading large files etc but it does not improve actual surfing speeds @nibzy 

All Vodafone sim cards are 5G compliant but it needs to be provisioned on your account so if yours is a 4G type contract that's what it would work in as far as I understand things.

However on one of the plan details it does say “ 

5G - #5Gamechanger

5G will open up a new world of seamless opportunities, and you can begin exploring them with our Unlimited Max plan. When using a 5G-ready device, you’ll be able to enjoy unlimited 5G data that makes it quicker and easier to download, stream and make video calls to loved ones – and that’s just the beginning. ” 

So do look at the plan details which is key.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

When i get billed, it says 5g on the bill. The reason i wish to use 5g for everything like broadband is because the area i live in has terrible adsl+, and ISP's max download i can get through ordinary download is 11mb.

ive been looking at the website and i found 5 g unlimited max for £30 a month, whats the difference between this, R219 and the 5G gigacube broadband?

BandOfBrothers

@nibzy 

My understanding is that the Gigacube is the closest option to full conventional fixed Home Broadband but still uses a sim card and connects to Vodafone masts so are a plug and play and can be moved from house to house.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/gigacube/ 

Current Phone  >

Thing is i can get a huawei 5G CPE Pro 2, and if i put the sim in their (the one with R219 or the unlimited max) wouldn't that be a good alternative to gigacube?

oh and btw, when i chose the sim i picked unlimited MAX, so i should have 5g

BandOfBrothers

@nibzy 

Yes that tariff under details shows 

5G - #5Gamechanger included.

Current Phone  >

Thanks for your help.

To clarify for anyone reading i have Vodafone R219 with an unlimited MAX sim and I'm wondering if i can take the sim out and put it in a 5g router without breaching any rules or anything, I've contacted support and will update my response on this thread

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @nibzy - You'll be fine to use your 5G enabled Unlimited Max SIM card in your own 5G router 👍 No terms or conditions will be broken by doing this! To check if you have 5G in your area please check our network status checker