Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R219h - auto boot when power received?

dfardon
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I recently picked up an R219h mobile hotspot. I'm using it in the car to provide wifi for the car's head unit and occupants.

It's connected to the head unit so gets power as soon as I start the car but it doesn't start unless I press and hold the power button.

Is it possible to get the R219h to power-on automatically when it gets power so I don't have to fish it out of the glovebox and turn it on each time?

I tried pulling the battery to see if this would do it, but it just shows error lights when there's no battery present.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @dfardon 

The best thing to do is to link you to this previous thread. https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Broadband/R219-mobile-hotspot-keeps-losing-connection/td-p/26...

Follow the thread and change the default setting to No Auto sleep.

Thank you very much , I'll change that setting later and see how I get on, and report back tomorrow.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't think you can set this device to come on with the ignition @dfardon. This functionality is usually only available with specific devices installed by the car manufacturer. Our online user guide offers more info on what you can and can't use this for.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input, the device literally just gets power from the car when I turn the ignition on.

It's the same as being in the home with the device off, plugging it into the wall and flicking the wall switch to on. If the power supply becoming live will boot the device, then it should work in the car. If not, then I guess not.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

The information @AnnS provided should stop the device powering off if it's not being used @dfardon. This is a great workaround to keep the device on while your car's not in use and ready when you need it, but I don't think it can be set to turn off and on with your car ignition.

Thanks Mark, in that case it sounds like it won't help. The car could be left parked for days between uses, by which point the battery in the device will have run flat if it isn't set to auto power off. 

AnnS

@Mark 

Do Vodafone still offer this service: Internet in the car 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't think this is a service we still offer this @AnnS. If the service is already active, it's still supported, but we're no longer taking new customers. When we did offer this, it required hardware to be installed in the car by the manufacturer too.