Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Super slow gigacube 4g.

JMVJ
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Joined vodafone a month ago and it has been a nightmare. They promised super speeds and it would ideal for my needs but it has been nothing of the sort.

I contacted them and they couldn't answer me except with wait until the works have finished in you area and things willbe better. Really???!!! 
if I cancel now my charges wil be extortionate. either way I am screwed. 😞

does anyone have any tips. Apart crom resetting the gigacube?  Thanks. 

25 REPLIES 25

abates85
4: Newbie

Having the same issues as you. I'm 4 months into my contract. For the first 3 mo this I had 0 issues with my connection and was delighted. Since early February I get good speeds during the morning. Up to 30mbps download and 20mbps upload. In the evening my speeds drop to unusable. I've been getting 0.2mbps download and still 20mbps upload. I've spent hours on the phone with Vodafone and hour on the online chat but nothing they do seems to help. It seems that my area is oversaturated with connections in the area and drops everyone to pointlessly slow speeds. 

If anyone could assist we would all be helpful. 

I've been through the soft reset process. I.e. turn off. Remove sim for 2 minutes and insert SIM. 

I've done the hard reset. I.e. hold the reset button on router for a minute so it resets everything. 

I've been told by the support department my SIM wasn't registered properly so I should force the router to use 3g for 30 mintues then force it to 4g only and manually select Vodafone. 

Once you go through all this they say I need to wait for 30 minutes and ensure it will definately be fixed. Which it isn't.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's not good @abates85 & @JMVJ. So we can check your local coverage, pop us your full postcode and we'll check this for you.

Hi @Mark

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm lagging as much as my gigacube I think. My postcode is PR4 3FL. now whenever I speak to tech support I get the same responses and thoroughly fed up of it. We can't even watch Netflix in the evening we just tried to watch a film for the last hour we had some stops for buffering and then gave up. Turns out we only actually got 20 minutes into the film so we was watching a loading screen more than the content. Whenever I speak to tech support I now only get the response that due to the current circumstances the traffic in my area is higher than usual as everyone on Vodafone in the area is using the same mast. This I get but surely that just means your equipment isn't capable of handling the throughput for our local area which is poor. I was promised between 30 and 40Mbps when I joined and now we struggle to get 1. We bought this service because it should be better that what our landline could offer us which would have been 14Mbps. Now I'm wasting £50 a month for a pointless service which doesn't work properly and I can't even get a landline service because openreach aren't taking bookings until July. Feel free to get in touch. 

After lots of discussion on twitter and speed tests it appears I managed to get something sorted. Speeds are back on the upload side to 20mbps which is normal. As for download its slowly coming back up to the usual 40mbps+, but taking some time.

Either way, the internet much more useable now. However I'm still waiting for the twitter team to let me know what the engineers done, simply so I can speed up if it happens again.

Vodafone really could do with trusting some customers a bit better, I know most are not techy people, but some of us are and are capable of doing a lot of tests themselves before reporting it. It's annoying when you get told "reboot this, test this, remove sim, etc etc". Some people actually know to do this first and just want to resolve it quicker.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's brilliant news @pullenuk, I'm glad we've been able to get your speeds back up 👍 

Still waiting to hear what the problem was in the first place though!

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I can see we've replied to your last message over on Twitter @pullenuk - once we have another update for you we'll be back in touch as soon as we have any news.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've taken a look into the coverage in your area @abates85 and there are no current issues. The mast you're connecting to is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages. So we can take a closer look into this, pop us a message through Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to help get this sorted for you.

Hi Mark,

ive been in touch with your twitter and facebook feed already, the conversation is painful with extremely slow responses, mostly not even to the same person. while i started off the conversation about GigaCube the person on Twitter didnt get that message and checked landline speeds. Then proceeded to tell me due to the current circumstances its slow due to more users than normal, but this is BS because I first reported this issue at the beginning of February before all the users were locked down.

ive been told by call centre that the mast was damaged by wind, ive been told theres maintenance thats not on any reports. and now im told thats just the way it is. Call centre staff just try saying stuff to get you off the phone, every time i get told i need to hard reset my router and it will come back in 10 - 15 minutes meaning i need to reconnect all my devices or i need to set the router to force 4G manually and within 30 minutes everything will be fine, but it never is.

Im now stuck in an expensive contract i cannot release for a useless product. see below for the tail end of my twitter conversation.

Here's the photo for what it's worth. We have around 13 devices connected but even with 1 device it's the same
Apr 16, 2020, 7:18 PM

Ah, my mistake! Those speed checks which we run are normally for broadband. I've checked the coverage in your area and while there are some patches where it's weaker, it does get decent coverage. We are aware that there is more congestion on the lines at the moment, due to more people connecting in order to stay in contact with loved ones, working from home etc
Charlotte
Apr 16, 2020, 7:26 PM

Surely there's a similar amount of users in the evenings as normal. This just means your network doesn't cope with the usage in our area.
Apr 16, 2020, 7:42 PM

I appreciate this may not be the information you're looking for, but at present, there are a lot more users on the network for longer periods of time. Rich
Apr 18, 2020, 1:44 PM