Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tethering abroad instead of buying R218

Lollypopswater
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello 

We are travelling to Spain soon and rather than buying the R218 Wi-fi router could we use an old iPhone and tether to it?  Looking at buying a 1mth contract withstand high (ish) data limit.  We will be tethering Wi-fi only iPads and iPhones no laptops.

Looks like Vodafone allow tethering abroad - any drawbacks or benefits to the R218 I am missing?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

You can check the roaming info and charges in Vodafone > costs/travelling-abroad.

Be aware if you use your phone to tether a tablet that can access richer content internet pages then data can be used faster and the battery of your iPhone will diminish faster from turning on the hotspot.

Roaming would need to be allowed on the account via your myvodafone and ensure the sim is activated before leaving the Uk 

A person could use sim only , a full contract as long as a person can pass a credit check to open the contract up or Payg which requires no credit check and can be used for roaming. 

Roaming is only meant for relatively short periods of time.

Further information is available in the T&C's.

The dongle you mention is a dedicated device to connect several devices for internet use for data but it's a personal choice really to use one of those or a phone. 

If your iPhone is unlocked to all network's an alternative would be to find a local mobile network to use.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Is the R218 compatible with iPhones, MacBooks or iMacs? 

I was thinking about purchasing the R218 and use to connect my apple devices to the internet. Is this possible with Apple products?

Many thanks

Tam

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@tam76 This should 100% work for you with the R218, the Apple products should connect to the hotspot the same way any other devices would using Wi-Fi. 

Thank you Josh! I ordered one yesterday to fingers crossed it should be here next week

Thanks for your help 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@tam76 You're welcome anytime! :Thumbs_Up: I hope you enjoy the new services, we'll always be here to help if you need anything else! :Smiling: